League_Masters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Currently in year 12 unfortunately i did not take AS further maths in the beginning of year 12 as I had no inkling as to what I wanted to for uni, therefore instead I took three sciences and maths. However, I think i want to do physics or engineering and I realise that further maths would help smooth the transition into the degree. Therefore I have decided to teach myself AS further maths, of which i can take the exams in year 12, but im quite worried that since I won't be doing the A2 further maths exams, universities like Cambridge or Oxford might not accept me into the course, would it be best to simply state in my personal statement that I am self teaching further maths and by the end of year 12 I will have taught myself A2 further maths?
I realise that I am at a disadvantage of not initially taking further maths but surely stating that i am self teaching further maths will show my commitment?
So to clear up I will be doing AS further maths in school next year, but will i be looked down upon for not taking A2 exams? Also from that, will I be able to get into Cambridge or Oxford knowing that i will have done AS further maths exam in year 13 and will probably have sound knowledge of further maths to A2?

Thanks in advance
League_Masters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bump
shezi1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First off, further maths is absolute requirement only for the maths tripos and not for natsci or engineering. So AS further maths is fine as you'll be having 3 sciences and maths which is quite a heavy combination. No doubt further maths will add strength to your application and help you in your first year at uni should you get in.
Secondly, yes do write that in your personal statement and in fact it will be viewed as a positive point in my opinion. I am also self studying the whole A level further maths (that too of CIE board) in my A-2 year. I have got an offer for cambridge natsci.
Thirdly, you should contact your preferred college and tell them about your situation. They'll surely be of help.
Do ask anything else you want to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (207)
57.34%
I don't have everything I need (154)
42.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise