The Student Room Group

Taking an AS during A2 year?

I'm taking 3 subjects on to A2 (English Lang, English lit, history)
I would also like to do AS psychology as I regret not taking it for year 12 (I did Spanish instead and hate it)
Is it a good idea to do an AS level at the same time as 3 A2s?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
I would also like to do AS psychology as I regret not taking it for year 12 (I did Spanish instead and hate it)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on whether or not you think you'll be able to cope. Plenty of people do 4 or more A2s, so there's nothing stopping you in principle. As long as you do all your A Levels over two years, it should be fine.

There are some other considerations though. Firstly, whilst you may want to take psychology, is it going to help you? The last thing you want is to miss your university offers because you've spent too much time revising for psychology. You also need to make sure that this doesn't cause timetabling issues.
It's not worth it. Universities won't even look at your AS especially if you haven't done it yet. Unless you want to stay behind a year to carry it on to A2. The work load will be too much especially with no more January exams
Original post by Chlorophile
Depends on whether or not you think you'll be able to cope. Plenty of people do 4 or more A2s, so there's nothing stopping you in principle. As long as you do all your A Levels over two years, it should be fine.

There are some other considerations though. Firstly, whilst you may want to take psychology, is it going to help you? The last thing you want is to miss your university offers because you've spent too much time revising for psychology. You also need to make sure that this doesn't cause timetabling issues.

I find that I'm very interested in it and there is some overlap with English language so it could help me, it's something that I would really enjoy so I'm just really thinking about workload, I don't think it will be too much but I've also never seen anyone do more than 3 A2s at my school so I don't know if it's a lot but I work more than most people at my school (nobody does any work really) so I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by purple_panther
It's not worth it. Universities won't even look at your AS especially if you haven't done it yet. Unless you want to stay behind a year to carry it on to A2. The work load will be too much especially with no more January exams

If I'm doing it out of enjoyment, though, rather than for the grade, is it worth it then? It could also potentially make up for a bad AS grade in Spanish (which I'm currently not doing so well in) and it'll give me more variety and a different way of looking at things.
Are these valid reasons for doing it?
I find that I'm very interested in it and there is some overlap with English language so it could help me, it's something that I would really enjoy so I'm just really thinking about workload, I don't think it will be too much but I've also never seen anyone do more than 3 A2s at my school so I don't know if it's a lot but I work more than most people at my school (nobody does any work really) so I don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk to your teacher then. They'll be able to give you the personalised advice nobody on TSR can provide.
If I'm doing it out of enjoyment, though, rather than for the grade, is it worth it then? It could also potentially make up for a bad AS grade in Spanish (which I'm currently not doing so well in) and it'll give me more variety and a different way of looking at things.
Are these valid reasons for doing it?

If you know you're capable of getting good grades in all 4 then go for it, quite a few people in my year have kept on all 4 subject to A2. I just think it's a bit risky that's all, you don't want to fall behind in your A2 subjects which will affect your uni offer (if you choose to go). It's your choice, if you think you'll get something positive out of it then there's nothing stopping you:smile:
Reply 7
I personally was going to take psychology to AS next year, but as I do 5 subjects right now I'm going to have to drop 2. If its not for a grade then I don't think its really worth it
Reply 8
If you are good at learning things without needing understanding then take Psychology but a lot of the exam mark schemes need you to just learn pages of stuff off by heart. You don't need to understand things or be able to apply your learning just quote case studies and what they proved or didn't prove.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Several people at my old 6th form did it and they worked out fine.

Quick Reply

Latest