US/EU hypocrisy on democracy and media slanting Watch

ClickItBack
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Crimea voted to join Russia in a landslide referendum yesterday with 97% in favour, and with a voter turnout of 83%. The response of the US and the EU has been to apply sanctions to a number of Russian individuals, mostly politicians, and condemn the referendum as 'illegal'.

This is not exactly a surprising response if you are a realist and accept realpolitik, but it does serve to demonstrate that the West is exceedingly hypocritical with its appraisal of democracy. Imagine the situation where a territory that belongs to Russia had held a referendum and voted by such a strong margin to defect to Ukraine; I doubt there would be any aspersions cast as to the technical legality of the vote, and I would guess there would be a lot of rhetoric being blown about concerning 'the will of the people'.

It's also notable how the UK media subtly spins this. Compare and contrast the following two articles. In the Egyptian one, it's all about the outcome of the vote, and the first line says 'He won 51.73% of the vote' with no mention of any possible irregularities. In the Crimean one, the emphasis is squarely on labelling the referendum results as 'disputed', and gives a lot of print space to talking about the groups who boycotted the referendum; this despite an 83% turnout in the Crimea vs a 52% turnout in Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-18571580

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26606097
AWJChadders
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The people that didn't turn up we're those who didn't recognise the vote as it gave no option to maintain the status quo.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AWJChadders)
The people that didn't turn up we're those who didn't recognise the vote as it gave no option to maintain the status quo.
This, you couldn't even vote to keep things as they are and they were allowing Russians from Russia in to go in and vote :facepalm2:

Next Russian election:

Place your vote

[ ] Putin
[ ] Putin
[ ] Putin
[ ] Gulag
[ ] Putin
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)
Crimea voted to join Russia in a landslide referendum yesterday with 97% in favour, and with a voter turnout of 83%. The response of the US and the EU has been to apply sanctions to a number of Russian individuals, mostly politicians, and condemn the referendum as 'illegal'.

This is not exactly a surprising response if you are a realist and accept realpolitik, but it does serve to demonstrate that the West is exceedingly hypocritical with its appraisal of democracy. Imagine the situation where a territory that belongs to Russia had held a referendum and voted by such a strong margin to defect to Ukraine; I doubt there would be any aspersions cast as to the technical legality of the vote, and I would guess there would be a lot of rhetoric being blown about concerning 'the will of the people'.

It's also notable how the UK media subtly spins this. Compare and contrast the following two articles. In the Egyptian one, it's all about the outcome of the vote, and the first line says 'He won 51.73% of the vote' with no mention of any possible irregularities. In the Crimean one, the emphasis is squarely on labelling the referendum results as 'disputed', and gives a lot of print space to talking about the groups who boycotted the referendum; this despite an 83% turnout in the Crimea vs a 52% turnout in Egypt.

Disgusted at the EU and the USA Crimea have won independence through a fair democratic vote and by not recognising it they are showing themselves to be corrupt.Its like Kosovo all over again with the EU being like Serbia and not allowing Kosovo independence and Argentina trying to claim the Falkland Islands but the UK winning the vote.I am pleased with Russia's response to this crisis, with not any violence and Russia had every right to be in Crimea based on the result of the vote.The reason they don't want Russia to have Crimea is that they are scared and greedy of Russia regaining territory they rightfully own.Good on the Crimeans speaking up for themselves.
ToLrnWhoRlzOvrU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Human rights, Democracy are just political tools they use against others and yes that includes gay rights.America is the biggest abuser of human rights and acts nothing like a Democracy it's rotten to the core and so is the EU.Screw America, screw Britain and the EUI see through their lies and manipulation.
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have noticed that part of what is going on is due to bad international laws.

Territorial integrity is the principle under international law that nation-states should not attempt to promote secessionist movements or to promote border changes in other nation-states. Conversely it states that imposition by force of a border change is an act of aggression.

I think this law needs a clause added to the end that states that it is illegal unless there is significant unrest or corruption or the citizens of the country's democratic rights have been infringed.
Therefore under this law Russia would have done nothing wrong because without Russian soldiers in Crimea then they would never have been allowed to have the vote for referendum-Ukraine made it clear that they wanted to stop the referendum but didn't have the power to stop Russia.Ukraine has also seen riots in which several people were killed indicating severe unrest and corruption with neo-nazi policies hence why I think Russia have done the right thing, Russia's right to be in Crimea is amplified when you consider the strong Russian ethnicity in Crimea.

The way I think about it is if Scotland really really wanted independence(at the moment no is beating yes by quite a bit) and the UK denied them a referendum and there was significant riots and unrest then it should be legal and recommended for other countries to invade the UK and force a referendum in Scotland.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ClickItBack)

In your analogy would the Ukraine have thousands of troops blockading Russian bases and would the referendum be put together in a matter of days leaving no time for any sort of reasoned debate?
ObamaKosherSlave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do people understand the current Ukrainian government was put there by America no doubt with cooperation with the EU?Ukraine's leader was decided by foreigners and they put a central banker in power.IMF wont help Ukraine only enslave it, the Jewish banker mafia strikes again.
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ObamaKosherSlave)
Do people understand the current Ukrainian government was put there by America no doubt with cooperation with the EU?Ukraine's leader was decided by foreigners and they put a central banker in power.IMF wont help Ukraine only enslave it, the Jewish banker mafia strikes again.
Yes yes they replaced the legitimate Ukrainian government with a new Ukrainian government that supported the EU, that didn't win through an election so much for a democracy unlike the Crimean Referendum and this government that was chosen wanted to join the EU but the legitimate one didn't.The EU will probably DO the same for the other European countries who won't join the EU.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads