The Student Room Group

Girlfriend broke up with me and now I don't know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kagutsuchi
And what if she didn't want to do any of that, but instead wanted to focus on building a successful career as an investment banker, which would be easier to do than teaching, given that she'd already started?

Then we would have to go through with it, no? However, I would be prepared to make sacrifices for my family, but that's just me. In answer to your question, realistically development would send me all over the world and if she wanted me to stay in the UK to be with her, I would make that sacrifice. I perhaps loved her more than she loved me.
Original post by Anonymous
Then we would have to go through with it, no? However, I would be prepared to make sacrifices for my family, but that's just me. In answer to your question, realistically development would send me all over the world and if she wanted me to stay in the UK to be with her, I would make that sacrifice. I perhaps loved her more than she loved me.

Now now, you're falling into the dangerous well of self-pity.

While your self-sacrificial nature is admirable, it doesn't mean much if you first sought change in her. She clearly didn't want to change, and why should she?

You must bear in mind that we're only hearing your side of the story. We could talk about this all night long, but with input from the other side, we won't get anywhere.
Reply 22
Now now, you're falling into the dangerous well of self-pity.

While your self-sacrificial nature is admirable, it doesn't mean much if you first sought change in her. She clearly didn't want to change, and why should she?

You must bear in mind that we're only hearing your side of the story. We could talk about this all night long, but with input from the other side, we won't get anywhere.

I am being very unbiased and admitting my mistakes, I haven't blamed her once, in fact, I still feel without her parents input, it would all be fine. I can only hold my hands up and say I asked too much of her, which I am. I am suffering with depression at the moment so my meds haven't really helped me with my decision making either. It's sort of all come together once.
Original post by Anonymous
I am being very unbiased and admitting my mistakes, I haven't blamed her once, in fact, I still feel without her parents input, it would all be fine. I can only hold my hands up and say I asked too much of her, which I am. I am suffering with depression at the moment so my meds haven't really helped me with my decision making either. It's sort of all come together once.

There's no use in lingering with this any longer.

Perhaps you should pursue one of your many interests with greater passion.

Are you, by any chance, a part of the British Red Cross? If not, you could volunteer in one of their many services. :smile: It'd certainly help with regard to opening doors to a career in development and humanitarian aid - especially the Refugee Service and International Work.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
There's no use in lingering with this any longer.

Perhaps you should pursue one of your many interests with greater passion.

Are you, by any chance, a part of the British Red Cross? If not, you could volunteer in one of their many services. :smile: It'd certainly help with regard to opening doors to a career in development and humanitarian aid - especially the Refugee Service and International Work.

I would but really struggling with work on my degree as it is, loads to do and sort of need to get a 1st for the development masters that I want to pursue.

Luckily, I have some internships in the summer that are linked to the development stuff that I want to pursue but I am looking at volunteering in the summer, whether that be it for the homeless/old persons home, even if it doesn't necessarily help with a career as such.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending