Ladean123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
'When oligopolists collude, the results can be anti-competetive and against the consumer interest. evaluate policies that could be used to deal with this problem' (25 marks).

Can anyone give me an essay plan or any ideas on what i need to talk about in what order as i have no idea about this essay. Thanks
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ladean123)
x
Define Oligopoly (kinked demand theory) and what is meant by anti anti-competitive practices (strategic barriers to entry, such as predatory pricing).

Oligopololies which collude will raise price and restrict output (monopoly diagram)
Talk about the potential reduction in consumer surplus (add diagram)
Also going against public interest (due to operating MC=MR) from Profit Maximising output

Policies which can tackle this:

Enforcing stricter punishment on collusion (as it's illegal in the EU) by use of CC or OFT (UK Regulators) - Such as deterrent fines.
Removing barriers to entry - removal of bureaucratic barriers to allow a higher degree of contestability.
Regulation (Maximum pricing) or RPI-X to control price levels within the oligopoly.
Nationalisation of the industry (although may lead to inefficiency).
Etc.. etc.. I'm sure you get the basic idea.

Obviously you'll analyse and evaluate some of these points (preferably 3)

With colluding oligopoly questions, think about the problems which monopolies have and counter-act that as a starting point.

Conclusion: Which policies are currently in practice, are they working? - Discuss the 6 big energy company oligopoly and how they're all still raising prices despite the kinked demand theory. Suggest a combination of policies which is likely to help with tackling collusive behaviour and explain your understanding of the potential drawback and argue why it's the most suitable decision.

Then you can sit back and enjoy looking at your masterpiece . I'm also doing A2 AQA Economics, if you need anymore help, don't hesitate to ask. All the best!
Ladean123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Oh hey you found me again!! My inbox stopped working for a bit when we were being economics geeks a while back! Thanks for this, this is better than anything my teacher would have said! ;D
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ladean123)
Oh hey you found me again!! My inbox stopped working for a bit when we were being economics geeks a while back! Thanks for this, this is better than anything my teacher would have said! ;D
You're more than welcome. Who needs teachers eh' :rolleyes:. Everything I've learned is from YouTube :cool:.
alicia2908
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Talk about the different types of collusion- eg. tacit collusion- maybe sneak in something about price leadership. then evaluate- difficult to prove and therefore very difficult to regulate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (181)
38.03%
Take autumn exams (147)
30.88%
Look for a job (16)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.41%
Take a year out (83)
17.44%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.88%

Watched Threads