The Student Room Group

Gender stereotypes that don't apply to you

Scroll to see replies

I fit quite a lot of the girly gender stereotypes, but then a lot of the things I like are kind of gender neutral. I mean, I don't know if scuba diving and climbing trees are seen as boyish things to do? I've always wanted really short hair though, my hair drives me nuts. The second I find someone willing to cut it short, I'm doing it (and praying it looks alright). Um, I like superhero films and I guess that's stereotypically boyish, I like some films that you could call boyish if we're going by the stereotype that girls only like chick flicks, and I suppose my love of old dystopian classics like Brave New World doesn't exactly fit that stereotype (I'm clutching at straws here, I don't think that's really gender specific at all) and I used to like my brothers robot toys and stuff better than some of my toys at times. :lol: I loved Scalectrix and Bionicles as a kid. And I like watching the rugby when I can, which isn't often, used to play rugby but we never had anyone to play against. I'm incredibly messy, which isn't considered 'ladylike', and my cooking abilities are basic at best. :lol: And I do a science degree, albeit it's pharmacy so that's pretty gender neutral as well, unlike engineering or physics which are ridiculously male dominated. I am quite a science nerd, I have a worrying fascination with NMR machines, and I wanted to be an astronomer once, until I realised how much computers were involved. Um...what else. I like dark comedy, which I guess isn't stereotypically 'girly'? I like making people laugh as well, I guess I'm kind of funny. Girls aren't meant to be funny, but I try.

Oh, I forgot the big one. I swear constantly. Apparently I shouldn't, not because they're swear words, but because it's unfeminine. I used to be more of a tomboy than I am now, it's not meant to be ladylike to fight with your siblings but I did that. :lol: I am quite girly though, I love dresses and I wear make-up a lot and I coo over kittens and babies and I like flowers and disney films and musicals.
(edited 10 years ago)
I can squat a man 6 inches taller than me (I'm 5ft 10) on my back.
I am otherwise freakishly strong
I like drinking pints of beer and have an excessive drinking tolerance
I like dainty, slim and pretty men
I eat my curries super hot.
Reply 42
I ****ing hate children.

I don't own a handbag, though I do have quite a few pairs of shoes.

I love video games, action and horror movies.

I lift weights and only really do cardio to warm up.

I love me a good steak/ all meat in general and I eat like a pig. I eat more than my boyfriend.

My build is not very feminine - no tits and broad shoulders.

I don't like super manly, muscly men. My boyfriend's hair is longer than mine (although mine is long, down to mid-back almost)
I don't like football.

Other than that I am pretty much a mans man (although I don't really drink and I am more into fitness/ nutrition)

This is me basically. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Man's+man
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
I'm fairly typical I think although I can be untidy and I've never fancied the idea of having a big fancy wedding, even when I was a little girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
I don't do anything particularly feminine, but I don't do things that are stereotypically masculine/male dominated, eg, I'm not a gamer, I've never owned any Playstation/XBox/etc.
Reply 46
Original post by The Socktor
If you're male, is there anything you do that's generally perceived as feminine?

If you're female, is there anything you do that's generally perceived as masculine?

Me I like to grow my hair long and always have avoided fights. :smile:

I'm emotional and not ashamed to admit it
I read instruction manuals
I actually care about more than just sex
I dance
I horse ride
i HATE cod and halo
also couldn't give a damn about Football or Rugby
(edited 10 years ago)
I shampoo and condition my beard.
Original post by WeirdlyWonderful
I don't know how to use make up (never tried to learn because I have sisters who apply it for me on occasions). I also don't care about breaking nails (lol). And lastly, I don't like to gossip and 'bitch' about other girls for no reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same - I don't behave in that way.
Original post by russellsteapot
I use quite a few skincare products - this is perhaps becoming more normal now, but the older generation still seem mortified if I mention it.

I have lots of shoes.

I have long hair.

Icouldntagreeme,so true,greatpointbut letmeaskyouhaveyoueverfollowedyeovillloverlandandseaANDSEAcosweall follow theyeoviloverrrrlandandseaALTOGETHERnowweeeeealllfollowtheyeeeeeoooooviloverlandandseaandseaweallfollowthe yeovilonto victory.
Original post by The Socktor
If you're male, is there anything you do that's generally perceived as feminine?

If you're female, is there anything you do that's generally perceived as masculine?

Me I like to grow my hair long and always have avoided fights. :smile:

I like videogames and comics
I don't really bitch
I can be confrontational if someone annoys me
I drink guiness, beer, larger and cider.
Reply 52
I don't need friends to come to the toilet with me

I don't have many close friends, certainly not a best friend, but I like good, in-depth conversations

I detest clubs and parties. Sitting in a pub (or pub garden) would be cool

I don't mind my hair getting wet or messed up from the rain or wind; in fact it suits me wavy

I really like rock/indie/country/folk music the most

You know those girls that need someone they know in class or if they were going on a trip or open day or something, I prefer going on my own and not knowing anybody. Never understood people who need familiar people with them

I hate Facebook

I don't want to get married

I put effort into my appearance but I don't paint my nails, wear fake tan or straighten my hair
I like kids and cooking, I'm **** at maths and science.

I am quite 'laddy' sometimes though which judging by this thread is unusual in a guy.
Reply 54
That we take ages to get ready!! We can look just as good in half the time.
I don't like having too many shoes, I mean what's the point? It's collecting dust in the corner. It's not like you'll wear all of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loving this thread will post when home :biggrin:
I dont use make - up prefer baggy clothing and love the colour blue as opposed to pink i guess
Original post by Ripper-Roo
I don't need friends to come to the toilet with me

I don't have many close friends, certainly not a best friend, but I like good, in-depth conversations

I detest clubs and parties. Sitting in a pub (or pub garden) would be cool

I don't mind my hair getting wet or messed up from the rain or wind; in fact it suits me wavy

I really like rock/indie/country/folk music the most

You know those girls that need someone they know in class or if they were going on a trip or open day or something, I prefer going on my own and not knowing anybody. Never understood people who need familiar people with them

I hate Facebook

I don't want to get married

I put effort into my appearance but I don't paint my nails, wear fake tan or straighten my hair

The bits in bold apply to me too.
Reply 59
Let's see....

I do like pink, have 11 different shirts, t-shirts and sweaters that are pink.

I like to cook and do cook rather fancy meals.

I do use cosmetics, some are quite expensive too.

I used to sit down with my elder 2 kids to play dolls with them, in fact we used to have loads of Barbie stuff.

I do like shopping, my elder 2 daughters prefer going out shopping with me than their mamma.

I do like to be asked out on a date.

I do like nice gardens with lots of flowers.

I do like things to be very clean and do clean though admittedly I do rely a lot on appliances to clean.

I do like sports but don't care much for sitting in front of a tv for it.

I do like good and nice clothes, have 12 pairs of footwear while my girlfriend has 4 :smile:

I don't like beer.

I don't like sex unless it is within a loving relationship.

I don't like hunting for fun.

I don't like fishing for fun.

I don't like games all that much, though I do play some with my kids and usually let them win.

Quick Reply

Latest