The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

What is the University of Leicester like?

Hi there!

I got an offer from Leicester to study IR and I'm just wondering what people think of the university, so please feel free to post your opinions down below!

Just out of curiousity, Leicester is one of the top 15 universities, I know it's not a Russell Group, but is it still seen to be a good and respectable university? Also, what's the area of leicester like? Is it quite diverse?
Reply 1
You might wanna see this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2595661

Hope it helps!
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by alevels.
Hi there!

I got an offer from Leicester to study IR and I'm just wondering what people think of the university, so please feel free to post your opinions down below!

Just out of curiousity, Leicester is one of the top 15 universities, I know it's not a Russell Group, but is it still seen to be a good and respectable university? Also, what's the area of leicester like? Is it quite diverse?

I went there today!
I didn't really like it. It's super diverse and has people from all over the world. But it's too much like sixth form imo, like it was a lil too chill for my liking. But the people that showed us around were nice enough, and some of the buildings are pretty. And some pretty awesome research goes down there :smile:
Maybe you wanted an answer from someone who goes there already but those were my impressions :smile:
Reply 3
i chose Leicester because i felt it was a university that was going places and fundamentally the place to be. I have almost finished my second year of a three year course and i still don't regret/disagree with my original thoughts. Its fantastic performances in recent years (top 2% in the world, discovery of Richard third, Times runner up of the year) has propelled the university onto a global platform of recognition. So yes it is a very good and respectable university.

I love the university and what it offers, from an excellent library to lecture facilities and the SU. The support also is fantastic as well. My personal tutor went out of her way to try and prepare me to submit a proposal for my dissertation research to be in Thailand. I achieved this proposal. I am also going to New York in a few weeks for fieldwork, all expenses paid. These are numerous examples of the things the university does for you and these are only academic examples.

The city for me personally is bigger than my hometown which i liked. It is big enough to have plenty of diversity, such as:
1) Largest Diwali festival outside of India
2) Caribbean Festivals
3) Comedy Festival- recent performers include Russel Howard.
The city has a new shopping centre, cinema, theatre and restaurants.
With two universities it also has a great atmosphere with events such as varsity (sports competitions) and mixed nights out. It is definitely a student style city and i personally love it. I am hoping to stay in Leicester once i graduate, which suggests how high i rate the city. Also a good bar scene as well.

One of the things i really liked when i came for an open day was the atmosphere about the place. It felt like the place to be as i mentioned but it also felt like a really friendly place to be. Nothing i have experienced has changed that. From the numerous nights out to the summer festiball, atmospheric student village and just a great feel about the place.

Hope this helps, sorry for the essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending