Now Moldovan region want to join Russia- what can be done

Watch this thread
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26627236

I don't know exactly where the EU go from here to be honest, it is very clear a majority of the Crimea want to be part of Russia and very likely this Moldovan region would also vote to join Russia.

So what should the EU and US do when the people in those area want to join Russia surely they should respect their wishes as UN's fundamental principle is self determination as the UK uses for Gibraltar and the Falklands
Radicalathiest
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)

I don't know exactly where the EU go from here to be honest, it is very clear a majority of the Crimea want to be part of Russia and very likely this Moldovan region would also vote to join Russia.

So what should the EU and US do when the people in those area want to join Russia surely they should respect their wishes as UN's fundamental principle is self determination as the UK uses for Gibraltar and the Falklands
Nothing. It is after all what they want.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Radicalathiest)
Nothing. It is after all what they want.
I agree I think it is completely hypocritical of the UK to say Crimea cannot join Russia when we give the Scots a vote and use self determination for Falklands and Gibraltar and the way things are escalating we could be dragged into a war
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
As long as it's the democratic will of the majority then there's nothing we can - or should - do to prevent it. The problem comes when it's a vocal minority wanting it or a government who wants it but suppresses the people who dissent.
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I agree I think it is completely hypocritical of the UK to say Crimea cannot join Russia when we give the Scots a vote and use self determination for Falklands and Gibraltar and the way things are escalating we could be dragged into a war
The refurendum was highly flawed. There is no way that 97% of people in Crimea wanted to join Russia, opinion polls put it much lower than that. Refurendums on who you want to be ruled by are fine, but they must be fair and not held under the militery occurpation of one of the options.
Radicalathiest
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Have to agree

don't get me wrong I don't think it's the right thing as it will end up with loads of small states (but perhaps this is what Europe actually wants small states with a small voice in a European federation)

But while we are giving Scotland the chance to have it's say it would be wrong for us to compalin if other countries try the same
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The Referendum in Crimea was a farce. Some areas reporting a voter turnout of up to 120% along with the presence of Russian Troops and widespread evidence of ballot fraud, comparing this to Scotland or the Falklands is ludicrous.
BefuddledPenguin
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an entirely fraudulent vote, wasn't the result something like 98% in favour? That seems like a majority under the threat of violence to me.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

If they want to join then let them hold a free and fair referendum. Not one carried out under the watchful eye of Russian troops.
No Man
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be an entirely fraudulent vote, wasn't the result something like 98% in favour? That seems like a majority under the threat of violence to me.
That may have because those opposed to it boycotted the Crimea poll.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, it's so comparable

The truth is Russia could've gone about this in a different way such as through the UN and if it needed troops to go in it could've done it through the UN but it didn't.

How is Gibraltar and the Falklands relevant anyway considering they're a part of us? We're talking about annexing a country 'democratically' in less than a month.
Dubastai
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Here we go treat Russia as the enemy. You can't compare Russia now to what it was like decades ago, it's the polar opposite. Putin is a religious man, he is rebuilding orthodox Russian church that was persecuted after decades of Jewish Bolshevik oppression. Why do you think they have a law against promotion of homosexuality and why is the west so upset about that? TIME called Obama the first gay president. Do you know who is pushing homosexuality on our society and why?
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Let them vote. If they vote out, let them out.
Seems simple to me.
Steevee
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dubastai)
Here we go treat Russia as the enemy. You can't compare Russia now to what it was like decades ago, it's the polar opposite. Putin is a religious man, he is rebuilding orthodox Russian church that was persecuted after decades of Jewish Bolshevik oppression. Why do you think they have a law against promotion of homosexuality and why is the west so upset about that? TIME called Obama the first gay president. Do you know who is pushing homosexuality on our society and why?
This should be good.

Do tell, why is the dreaded homosexual agenda being pushed? :holmes:
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

With regards to the EU the bulk of Moldova wishes to join them so like Ukraine most of the country will.

With regards to the region mentioned it actually voted in a 2006 referendum to leave Moldova so as long as a referendum to join Russia is carried out in a free and fair manner with no military intimidation then i say go for it.
Dubastai
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
This should be good.Do tell, why is the dreaded homosexual agenda being pushed? :holmes:
I'm fine with tolerance towards homosexuals but they promote and encourage homosexuality like it's the best thing in the world when it's destructive.They don't encourage family values they are doing everything to destroy the family and civilization. Look at American TV you had Rosie O'Donnell who is a Lesbian now you have Ellen DeGeneres. Even Oprah Winfrey who is straight has never even married. What's her excuse? " I'm not the marrying type" Great role model there....At least Obama and Michelle are married but they've been using him to push homosexuality and they even use kids to do it. Sickening. Homosexuals generally don't have kids you need a male and female to procreate. The more we encourage people to be homosexual the less kids they'll have. Thus destroying civilization.
Steevee
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dubastai)
I'm fine with tolerance towards homosexuals but they promote and encourage homosexuality like it's the best thing in the world when it's destructive.They don't encourage family values they are doing everything to destroy the family and civilization. Look at American TV you had Rosie O'Donnell who is a Lesbian now you have Ellen DeGeneres. Even Oprah Winfrey who is straight has never even married. What's her excuse? " I'm not the marrying type" Great role model there....At least Obama and Michelle are married but they've been using him to push homosexuality and they even use kids to do it. Sickening. Homosexuals generally don't have kids you need a male and female to procreate. The more we encourage people to be homosexual the less kids they'll have. Thus destroying civilization.
That's a really over-simplified view on things.

First and foremost Homosexuality does not destroy the nuclear family, I understand if you're personal beliefs oppose the Homosexual lifestyle, but the claim that it threatens family life is one that has no validity to it. Furthermore people have no duty to conform to your ideal lifestyle model, if people don't wish to marry or have a family that is their personal choice, and personal choice is what should always be promoted. And as for Homosexuality bringing down civilisation by destroying our reproduction rate, you don't have anything to worry about, we really don't need a larger population, as we move further into the 21st century we'll see increasing automation and such like, we will have no need for a population even this large. But should Homosexuality every come to threaten our population level it could be addressed rather simply, heterosexual couples could be encouraged to have more children, lesbian couples could be artificially inseminated and gay couples could open their homes to those children that have lost their parents or whose parents cannot provide for them.
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Should it not up to the Ukrainian gov to decide if they want a referendum? The Russian gov surely have no right to call a referendum.

The comparison to the Falklands is ridiculous. It was the British who gave the referendum, not the Argentines.

If the Ukrainian gov called a referendum then at least it has legitimatcy and should be respected.
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
If people in crimea want to join russia they should do what people in scotland do and vote.
Foriegn troops invading is never justified
Inzamam99
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Self determination.

Acceptable to the West as long as it does not go against their interests :dunce:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (117)
68.82%
No (34)
20%
I didn't use it to prepare (19)
11.18%

Watched Threads