The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship with AAB at a level

Im currently on my gap year where I've been working part time and doing a college course 1 day a week. I have unconditional offers in 2 lab based subjects for September but I cant decide which course to do and I think part of this is because I don't think I want to spend 3 more years in education.

I previously applied to do dentistry, didn't get any offers but then decided I didn't really want to do that, hence the gap year.
I feel like I could do the degree for 3 years and come out no more likely to get a job than I am now. Im considering applying for a lab apprenticeship which is level 4 (so higher than A levels but not quite degree level) but part of me feels like it would be a waste of my AAB.

any advice?! Thanks
It depends what you're wanting to do. Is it science/medicine that you want to work in? If you do, there are loads of opportunities with companies like GSK that you could potentially apply for with plenty of scope for growth but the entry requirements I think are lower than AAB so I don't know if that would interest you.

Highly competitive but great routes into a career would be the banking, business and accountancy school leaver programmes/apprenticeships. These train you up with a qualification higher than a degree, and fast track you to qualifying within that industry. They are asking for higher entry requirements and would be highly competitive to get on to but again, it all depends on whether these industries are places you could see yourself or not.

Maybe if you can give me some more information I might be able to help you some more.

Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!

I think it is science that I'm mainly interested in, that's the area the degree I have a place on is in.
Do you know of any other companies that have similar programs to GSK? im struggling to find science based apprenticeships if im honest. They seem to be mainly focused on banking, accountancy and admin.

if I was looking to go into research do you think a degree would be essential? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending