The Student Room Group

Books

In sixth form do you get given books for each individual subject like in lower school or are you responsible for buying and using your own paper and files etc.?
Reply 1
It depends really, for maths and physics i was given exercise books but for my other subjects we are expected to bring our own notebooks/paper. Doubt youll be given folders though, its good to have one anyway for each subject to keep your work organised.
Original post by easyastau
In sixth form do you get given books for each individual subject like in lower school or are you responsible for buying and using your own paper and files etc.?

we have to buy our own paper and folders and dividers.
you also have to buy textbooks depending on your school
Reply 3
Okay, thanks :smile: I guess it's a good thing seeing as I just bought 50 pads of paper :P Haha
I think it maybe depends on the school you go to. At my school we have to buy all of our own notebooks, but we don't pay for textbooks and at my friends school they are supplied with notebooks, but have to pay for their textbooks.
Reply 5
Okay, thanks :smile: I guess it's a good thing seeing as I just bought 50 pads of paper :P Haha

I wouldn't go as far as 50 pads if you're being literal, I'm a constant note taker, even write notes in mine at home and I'm only past half way in the very notebook for each subject I bought in September. I do wish I'd bought the project notebooks though so I'm going to buy them for next year.
Reply 6
Original post by iJess
I wouldn't go as far as 50 pads if you're being literal, I'm a constant note taker, even write notes in mine at home and I'm only past half way in the very notebook for each subject I bought in September. I do wish I'd bought the project notebooks though so I'm going to buy them for next year.

It was only £5.70 for 50 and I use a load of paper for revision at the moment as well so I thought I might as well.
Reply 7
It was only £5.70 for 50 and I use a load of paper for revision at the moment as well so I thought I might as well.

1786640_l.jpg
I bought one of these for each subject last year and they're only 50p, I would reccomend buying dividers though. Its unreal how many friends I have that don't keep their notes or even have a folder. In my opinion being organised is the key to success :biggrin:

edit: I should also add if you're buying any text books buy them off ebay or amazon second hand, so much cheaper!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by iJess
1786640_l.jpg
I bought one of these for each subject last year and they're only 50p, I would reccomend buying dividers though. Its unreal how many friends I have that don't keep their notes or even have a folder. In my opinion being organised is the key to success :biggrin:

edit: I should also add if you're buying any text books buy them off ebay or amazon second hand, so much cheaper!

So I should have:
One lever arch folder for each subject that I keep at home, a notepad for each subject and a folder with dividers for handouts etc. to take in everyday?
Reply 9
So I should have:
One lever arch folder for each subject that I keep at home, a notepad for each subject and a folder with dividers for handouts etc. to take in everyday?

Well that sounds like a good plan, I originally bought a lever arch for each subject to take in to sixth form but doing 5 A-levels they got heavy and broke easily. I now have the thinner ring binders for each subject with dividers in each. I purchased a locker which is really helpful. Also to start with you might want to use those plastic pocket folders you get as you won't have that much work & they're also helpful for putting loose sheets in, you tend to get handed a lot of loose hand out sheets :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by iJess
Well that sounds like a good plan, I originally bought a lever arch for each subject to take in to sixth form but doing 5 A-levels they got heavy and broke easily. I now have the thinner ring binders for each subject with dividers in each. I purchased a locker which is really helpful. Also to start with you might want to use those plastic pocket folders you get as you won't have that much work & they're also helpful for putting loose sheets in, you tend to get handed a lot of loose hand out sheets :biggrin:

Do you have to bring in work that you've done in previous lessons or would each lesson be on a new topic?
Reply 11
Do you have to bring in work that you've done in previous lessons or would each lesson be on a new topic?

Work that you've done in previous lessons usually
Reply 12
Original post by iJess
Work that you've done in previous lessons usually

Okay, thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest