ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Welcome to the University of Southampton A102 (BM6) 2021 Entry Discussion.

Southampton A102 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6022670

For general information click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici.../bm6_a102.page

For entry requirements click: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...______________

Southamptom Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6331732

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 6 months ago
EGEE1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi what I the eligibility requirements for the BM6 program
MEA Medic
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by EGEE1)
Hi what I the eligibility requirements for the BM6 program
it's on the BM6 university website.
EGEE1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MEA Medic)
it's on the BM6 university website.
I can’t find the specific requirement
MEA Medic
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
In order to qualify for the BM6 residential you will need to be studying both A Level Biology and Chemistry and meet at least three of the following eligibility criteria:
First generation applicant to higher education
Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit
Young people looked after by a Local Authority
In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant*
In receipt of free school meals at any point in Years 10-12
Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (Check postcode), OR living in an area with a postcode within POLAR 4 quintiles 1 and 2 (Check postcode), or a member of a travelling family.
*Where an applicant chooses the Free School Meals criteria and the 16-19 bursary criteria, the 16-19 bursary must be awarded for something other than Free School Meals. Eg. Transport costs between home and college, text books/stationery/printing.
Applicants should normally only submit eligibility criteria relating to one postcode/address.
The IMD score will be checked and verified by a member of the Outreach team.
A/ASTAR
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi guys I’m a current Year 2 medic from the BM6 programme feel free to ask any questions
Jbrown010902
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by A/ASTAR)
Hi guys I’m a current Year 2 medic from the BM6 programme feel free to ask any questions
How hard is it to get in to the bm6 course and do most people get all A’s?
A/ASTAR
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jbrown010902)
How hard is it to get in to the bm6 course and do most people get all A’s?
Most people on the course get the required grade of BBB which is what is needed. I know some people who got above that such as AAB . The BM6 course is relatively harder to get into as there are only around 30 places compared to your standard 250/300
Jbrown010902
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Most people on the course get the required grade of BBB which is what is needed. I know some people who got above that such as AAB . The BM6 course is relatively harder to get into as there are only around 30 places compared to your standard 250/300
Thanks for the quick reply, what advice would you give to someone to get into the course then?
Rima_Valeska18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Any advice for someone re sitting A levels and applying. I decided to go with this opt cause I low key fell in love with this course and uni. I dont want to do my biomed insurance course at all. Its always been a medicine or nothing for me so I decided to give it another shot. My calculated grades i got was BCC. I'm trying to appeal for BBC as I got B in biology at As. So yh gutted I lost my place yesterday. I was really confident in the interview it was right up my street compared to MMI. And the ucat was alright too.
studybuddy1302
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I have predicted grades ABB but did my UCAT and got 2390 and Band 3. Would this affect my foundation medicine application or not? Thanks in advance.
studybuddy1302
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ok I just applied eek. I really want to go here or Keele out of all my choices, hopefully I get in.
studybuddy1302
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I’ve applied this year and just want to know how they will decide who to send the 3 questions too or will they send it to everyone that meets their entry requirements and are eligible for the course? Do they send the eligibility forms first and then the 3 questions after? Thanks in advance!
studybuddy1302
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kingali.b)
Me too
Hi since you’ve applied last year may I please ask you a question regarding the IMD postcode? It said on the website if your postcode has the lowest 20% IMD then your eligible. I asked Southampton to email me a link to check and it said my postcode falls in the 20% most deprived and I copied and pasted this to Southampton and they said this is fine and I’ll be eligible for that criteria. But now I’m confused because the website said 20% lowest IMD but the website said my postcode is 20% most deprived. Can you help please? Thanks in advance
MedicalMuffins
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by studybuddy1302)
Ok I just applied eek. I really want to go here or Keele out of all my choices, hopefully I get in.
Good luck with your application! I applied to both of those choices (many years ago)
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I have predicted grades ABB but did my UCAT and got 2390 and Band 3. Would this affect my foundation medicine application or not? Thanks in advance.
Are you concerned about your UCAT score? The BM6 programme does not use the UCAT for selecting for interview. So there’s no cutoff you just need to complete it. The only time it’s used is if you have two applicants and they need to decide between them.

So in a nutshell don’t worry. Focus on smashing your three questions
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi I’ve applied this year and just want to know how they will decide who to send the 3 questions too or will they send it to everyone that meets their entry requirements and are eligible for the course? Do they send the eligibility forms first and then the 3 questions after? Thanks in advance!
So, it’s eligibility form first. Then those who are eligible will then be sent the three questions which will be used to determine interview
MedicalMuffins
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Rima_Valeska18)
Any advice for someone re sitting A levels and applying. I decided to go with this opt cause I low key fell in love with this course and uni. I dont want to do my biomed insurance course at all. Its always been a medicine or nothing for me so I decided to give it another shot. My calculated grades i got was BCC. I'm trying to appeal for BBC as I got B in biology at As. So yh gutted I lost my place yesterday. I was really confident in the interview it was right up my street compared to MMI. And the ucat was alright too.
Sorry for the super late reply It’s really common for people to reapply so I would definitely encourage you to reapply again. If you have any further questions please let us know!
studybuddy1302
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MedicalMuffins)
So, it’s eligibility form first. Then those who are eligible will then be sent the three questions which will be used to determine interview
Thank you so much for all your responses. Do you have any tips on how to stand out with your answered to the three questions?
theywereblue
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MedicalMuffins)
Heyy I can’t paste my PS bit more than happy to email it over

Southampton do not use SJT into account
Hi there I'm applying this year -- I would be very grateful if you could email it to me??? <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Today on TSR

Have the latest Covid-19 announcements affected your decisions about university?

It's complicated, I'll tell you more in the thread... (35)
6.72%
I've decided not to go to university (23)
4.41%
I'm more likely to go to university now (31)
5.95%
I've decided to go to a university nearer to my home town (40)
7.68%
I’m considering different universities (31)
5.95%
I am choosing a more career-related course (36)
6.91%
I am choosing a course based on what I’m passionate about (67)
12.86%
It hasn't changed anything for me (258)
49.52%

Watched Threads