The Student Room Group

UK residency form evidence

Hello I am trying to apply for the student finance but I am struggling with the UK residency form evidence that I need to provide.

i am living with my guardians so that means I can't provide evidence like utility bills, council tax records, P60's because they don't have my name on. I never worked before so i don't have any pays lips as well.

The only evidence I can provide is bank statements, I got my my bank statements for the pass 3 years but they can only proof my new address and not my old one.

I made a phone call before and i was told to just try and send those bank statments anyway but today i received a letter asking me for evidence which means those evidence are not accepted... please tell me what else can I do?
good question , Im in the same situation, I wish somebody has replied to your question so I could also get an idea of what to do.
Hello Fushimeikun,

If you are not able to supply us with the required evidence as you where a minor then we can accept a letter from your School or College stating dates that you where in attendance, this must be on letter headed paper, signed & dated.

If your guardians where claiming Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for you then we can accept these letters with you named on them.

We may need further supporting evidence in regards to this ie your parent or guardians P60's.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello Fushimeikun,

If you are not able to supply us with the required evidence as you where a minor then we can accept a letter from your School or College stating dates that you where in attendance, this must be on letter headed paper, signed & dated.

If your guardians where claiming Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits for you then we can accept these letters with you named on them.

We may need further supporting evidence in regards to this ie your parent or guardians P60's.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! i already sent them college letters and they were accepted as evidence but there are last three months that it couldn't cover becuase i already leave college at that time.
I am not sure abot child benefit or child tax but may i ask that if i can't provide eveidence of any of them what else can i provide?
Reply 4
Original post by KarolinaBarbara
good question , Im in the same situation, I wish somebody has replied to your question so I could also get an idea of what to do.

They accepted my college letters but it needs to be hand written, they rejected my first letter because it was a print out one:/ Good luck to you as well :smile: x
I am having so much trouble with the residency form and the evidence. Been on the phone to advisers too and they seem to say completely different things every single time. Been exchanging letters, forms, bank statements for nearly six months now...
At first I was told that my residency form is all good and I don't need another one and now I am asked to send the form and the evidence for the whole three years all over again as the first one was supposedly conflicting...
Reply 6
Original post by Kristina_S
I am having so much trouble with the residency form and the evidence. Been on the phone to advisers too and they seem to say completely different things every single time. Been exchanging letters, forms, bank statements for nearly six months now...
At first I was told that my residency form is all good and I don't need another one and now I am asked to send the form and the evidence for the whole three years all over again as the first one was supposedly conflicting...

I faced the similar problem like that! It takes quite a long period for them to figure out our evidence is not what they want because we need to wait until they send us a letter to let us know there are something wrong with the evidence, even worse most of mine evidence don't even have a reply until I ring to ask how's it going and been told that's not what they want:/

Since those adviser tells you different things all the time, I think you should talk to one for a long call. I talked to my adviser for about 40 mins until I know what they really need from me but it is really worthy to wait rather than waiting for other god know how many months:smile:

Just relax I think you'll be fine, mine takes nearly a whole year until I got my money:smile: x
Reply 7
I am having so much trouble with my residence evidence. I called so many times I spoke with so many different people who were telling me different things.
When I came in UK I lived with some friends for the first two years therefore I have no utility bills or council tax on my name. Also I did a college so I wasn't able to work for the first a few months and i didn't start college straight away. So I was told that I can provide my bank statements for the last three years. I did sent my bank statements all of them and they were accepted.
I was told that now everything is fine and to wait for a letter on 13th of August 2015. Apparently I didn't recieve any letter today :-( I called again to ask is everything ok with my application?! I was told that I have to provide an evidence from the period of 1/09/2012 to 9/09/2012 because my first statement is from 10/09/2012 and one week is missing.
I came in the United Kingdom on 13/08/2012 the first document that I was able to get was my driving licence because without a proof of an address you can't open bank account. As sson as I got my driving licence I called to the bank and i booked an appointment therefore I managed to open mumy bank account on 08/09/2012. I asked if I can provide my driving licence as an evidence because basically this is the only document that I do have for that period. For this one week because my driving licence is issued on 28/08/2012. Unfortunately the driving licence is unacceptable :'(
Please anyone who can help with this, I have no idea what else I can provide and I am already accepted in University. I was so happy about that and now I just don't what to do?
Thank you :-)
Possible option - pay cash or by bank account. I have prepared the money in advance before even applying for student finance. It is the insecurity how my family will deal with the finances for a few years. It is a big concern to graduate, it is a long process and it takes lots of efforts and money, I cannot afford financial fail.

I am Bulgarian too. I always advise people (not only Bulgarians) to keep a secure option/options for that reason only - to avoid disappointments like yours. With my sympathy - you should travel to Britain much earlier to make sure you've got everything needed for such an application. Applying in British University takes usually more than a year. For me it took two years.

Especially foreigners have requirement for residence too.

In my case I spent 5 years in Britain before applying in university. I made sure I've got NIN, and all the bureaucracy about my residence, plus P60, plus many other documents. First advice (please take it calmly because it is not me to require it) is that you deal with bureaucracy and these people are paid to require from you, and you are supposed to deliver and to cover their requirements.

Well, let me tell you - today I made a phone call to the advisers too and my all evidences are not enough for them.

So today I will call my bank branch/ or tomorrow I will go to my bank branch (whatever) to ask for full print of my bank activities throughout that period of time. They are not happy with one print issued from my bank - they want full cover of that period of time.

That is, how I take it, to ensure they have a real person in front - not only a few invalid papers. They want to make sure you were living and existing exactly the way you declare - with full evidences issued from the authorities.

It is my guess, may be they don't want somebody from abroad to pay from distance and to buy the evidences from distance.

I took it calmly, tried not to get angry (no use...) and to do what they ask me to do....is my advise to you too....

If you have a missing week, my guess is you will need another year residence in UK.....knowing the bureaucracy in UK.....I never found them to compromise the rules......

take it with a pinch of salt and forget and forgive.....it is for every other applicant, not only for you ....

Edit: after giving a shout to my bank, we agreed that I will visit my local branch tomorrow with my request for full print. I was told on the phone that they can issue for me only a copy of my full print. I already had letter from Student Finance to tell me in bold letters that I need to provide originals. What they mean in my case I will understand tomorrow, today is late to visit my local bank branch.

Good luck everybody, just do your home work properly......
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Hello, I am from EU but been living in UK for a past ten years. I have applied for student maintenance loan for my first year and got a full amount. I been asked to provide evidence for my residency. I just applied for my second year last week and it said "approved" but I am not entitled for the maintenance loan as i am an EU student. Did they make a mistake or the rules have changed?? I though I am suppose to be a home student like i was last year. Please someone help me, I can not continue with my studies without thia loan. :frown:( thank you.
Hi

For residency evidence You must provide all of the UK addresses where you lived in the UK for a full three years before the first day of the first academic year of your course, and the dates when you lived there. You must also send evidence to show that you lived at each address for the whole of the period you tell us about on the form.

Please see page: http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/residency

Deimantep, I would advise you to call up to check your application: 0300 100 0607

Thanks
Hi, I have been backward and forward with SFE for three months to get to the bottom of what they actually really want from me. Despite the many documents I sent, somehow there are always a few that are considered invalid. The frustrating thing is that no-one is able to explain for what reason(s) the document(s) were deemed invalid.

After umptin calls, I looked at all the documents I have sent them so far and found that the assessor(s) have been requesting as much proof as is required to apply for British citizenship: passport, letter for college, P60s, payslips, 10-15 items proof of address of 20 from 4-5 different sources, and finally marriage certificate. The only missing thing is the id photos.
What happens if you are a British National who's had to travel with their parents to another country for work and you now want to go back home to university. Do you still not qualify for the Tuition loan and/or maintenance assistance.
Original post by Poppers123
What happens if you are a British National who's had to travel with their parents to another country for work and you now want to go back home to university. Do you still not qualify for the Tuition loan and/or maintenance assistance.

Hi Poppers123,

UK National

Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and

be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

Depending on the circumstances you may be eligible to apply for Student Support if you have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break.

Working for HM Armed Forces

Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

If break in residency was due to student/parents active service in the armed forces they are still considered to be resident in the UK
Students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A letter from HM armed services if applicable

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest