salvatore270
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi there!

I have a BA from a US college in Classics, and I'm currently studying at KCL for a MA in Classics.

I am considering doing a PhD back in the States, but I did not take the GRE. I still do not understand if it is necessary to take it (for instance, what is the sense of the math section for admission to a PhD in Classics..) after having an MA. Also, is it hard to get into American Phds having a UK Master?
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's necessary for most places; in my experience, humanities departments are often not very interested (possibly not at all interested) in your score for the math section (I scored in the 30th percentile and was accepted with funding in a highly competitive disciple). However, it sometimes comes into play on the graduate school level, where the school might have a minimum in each section, or a combined minimum, for a student to be eligible for funding. Most places are pretty clear about it if they do have a minimum score requirement, and will put this info on their websites.

I'm not sure how competitive Classics is, probably less so than the very popular disciplines, but I imagine the applicant pool is generally very high achieving. With Classics, multiple language fluency will likely be a big factor in admissions, especially at elite schools. I applied to a couple of Comp Lit programs, which I suspect is a similarly niche subject which may have similar applicant numbers: there you're looking at 60 to 200 applicants for between 3 and 8 places probably, so at some schools the odds aren't bad at all.

I don't think a UK Master's will make it difficult to get in...the only issue might be the lack of formal language exams and or training (if, indeed, it was not a part of your MA). I know plenty of people with UK Master's in U.S. PhD programs, myself included (though I'm British).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed