The Student Room Group

[SOLVED] C3 - The Exponential Function and Natural Logarithm Theory

Hey guys, back again.

Not an exam question this time, just a bit of theory I either missed or have completely forgotten...

When working with the Exponential Function and Natural Logarithms I understand the basics, such as:

e^[Ln(4)] = 4

Reading over my textbook I have seen this however and it has totally baffled me, and I don't quite understand how I would show it.

e^[ln(x)-1] = x/e
e^[ln(x)-2] = x/e^(2)
e^[ln(x)-2] = x/e^(3)
and so on...

Could someone show me why this is the case?
Thanks,
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by InfernoxCJC
Hey guys, back again.

Not an exam question this time, just a bit of theory I either missed or have completely forgotten...

When working with the Exponential Function and Natural Logarithms I understand the basics, such as:

e^[Ln(4)] = 4

Reading over my textbook I have seen this however and it has totally baffled me, and I don't quite understand how I would show it.

e^[ln(x)-1] = x/e
e^[ln(x)-2] = x/e^(2)
e^[ln(x)-2] = x/e^(3)
and so on...

Could someone show me why this is the case?
Thanks,

I'll do the first one for you :smile:

eln(x)1=eln(x)e1e^{\ln(x)-1}=e^{\ln(x)}*e^{-1} (when you multiply you add the powers)

eln(x)1=xe1e^{\ln(x)-1}=xe^{-1} and e1=1ee^{-1}=\dfrac{1}{e} so eln(x)1=xee^{\ln(x)-1}=\dfrac{x}{e}
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
I'll do the first one for you :smile:

eln(x)1=eln(x)e1e^{\ln(x)-1}=e^{\ln(x)}*e^{-1} (when you multiply you add the powers)

eln(x)1=xe1e^{\ln(x)-1}=xe^{-1} and e1=1ee^{-1}=\dfrac{1}{e} so eln(x)1=xee^{\ln(x)-1}=\dfrac{x}{e}

Awesome!
Thanks a lot mate. I just failed to register that that you are effectively just multiplying e^[ln(x)] and e^(-1) :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest