The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Why do people call LSE 'GCSE Nazis'?

I'm sorry but why do people call LSE 'GCSE Nazis' when I got an offer for Law with only 4A*s, 5As, 2Bs and 1C? (Excuse the 'only', but that's what people on tsr made me feel like before I applied there) I was actually discouraged from applying on TSR cos of my GCSE profile, as I was told several times that I need 8-10 A*s for them to even consider me for Law. :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by onesoulfortwo
I'm sorry but why do people call LSE 'GCSE Nazis' when I got an offer for Law with only 4A*s, 5As, 2Bs and 1C? (Excuse the 'only', but that's what people on tsr made me feel like before I applied there) I was actually discouraged from applying on TSR cos of my GCSE profile, as I was told several times that I need 8-10 A*s for them to even consider me for Law. :colone:

I don't know anything about LSE, but one data point doesn't prove a rule. The fact that you got in with a certain set of grades tells us absolutely nothing about LSE's admissions process. What's important is the bigger picture, the overall statistics. The fact that you got in with 4A*s doesn't make an iota of a difference to the overall average entry specification.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
TSR members are usually clueless about everything other than passing exams. (and even then...)
Reply 3

I wasn't aware that LSE stated that you needed x amount of A*s to get in so they aren't exactly 'GCSE Nazis' I wouldn't believe everything on here about university admissions it's just best to contact the university directly. They are great results though! what did you get at A level if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
I don't know anything about LSE, but one data point doesn't prove a rule. The fact that you got in with a certain set of grades tells us absolutely nothing about LSE's admissions process. What's important is the bigger picture, the overall statistics. The fact that you got in with 4A*s doesn't make an iota of a difference to the overall average entry specification.

I agree, just don't get how people get the perception that you require 8+ A*s to even be within a shot of getting in, when there are other factors such as personal statement, reference, AS grades, predicted grades...

Original post by Abdul-Karim
TSR members are usually clueless about everything other than passing exams. (and even then...)

LOL!

Original post by Levingne
I wasn't aware that LSE stated that you needed x amount of A*s to get in so they aren't exactly 'GCSE Nazis' I wouldn't believe everything on here about university admissions it's just best to contact the university directly. They are great results though! what did you get at A level if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think they do and I didn't think they did until I came on tsr. :rolleyes:
Ah thank you! I got 4As at AS and predicted A*AA for A2 :smile:
I agree, just don't get how people get the perception that you require 8+ A*s to even be within a shot of getting in, when there are other factors such as personal statement, reference, AS grades, predicted grades...

Because whilst it's not good when people say "You've got no hope of getting in, don't even try it", it's also just as bad when people say "Sure, go for it! Person X did it and so can you!". As I said, I don't know much about LSE. But if it is correct that the average number of A*s for entry is 8-10 (which I highly doubt), then obviously it's very foolish and giving people false hope if you tell them they've got a good chance.
Reply 6
Well done on your offer! What are you taking at A2?

I am going to the LSE Open Day next week and hope to study Law. Any tips on applying etc. would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by maarg13
Well done on your offer! What are you taking at A2?

I am going to the LSE Open Day next week and hope to study Law. Any tips on applying etc. would be much appreciated! :smile:

Thank you! I'm taking History, English and Government+Politics at A2 and doing an EPQ (Don't know if you've heard of that? Apparently unis like it!)

I'm not aware of anything that specifically helped my LSE application as I wasn't really expecting an LSE offer, was set on getting an offer from King's College. However, if you are in year 12, I would say work your butt off for AS and get those As! I think it's helpful obtaining As in every module too because you can put that information on your UCAS application, which shows them you're not only getting As overall, but are also consistently performing well.

I think one of the most important factors taken into consideration by LSE admissions is your personal statement. Start it early (I started in the summer - although this was because I was considering applying for Oxbridge which has a slightly earlier deadline than the rest of the unis) as it'll give you time to prepare several drafts. I am not exaggerating, I had around 50 drafts until it sounded right to me, which clearly proved useful! Use the TSR personal statement service, it is so good! (Well I found it was for Law anyway!) The PS helpers seem like they genuinely want to help you and actually provide lots of constructive criticism. The person that helped me with mine is actually studying Law at LSE so that was helpful. Also get your grammar/spelling checked by several people as I was told that one error could lead to a rejection at somewhere like LSE! (Especially for Law!)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Thank you! I'm taking History, English and Government+Politics at A2 and doing an EPQ (Don't know if you've heard of that? Apparently unis like it!)

I'm not aware of anything that specifically helped my LSE application as I wasn't really expecting an LSE offer, was set on getting an offer from King's College. However, if you are in year 12, I would say work your butt off for AS and get those As! I think it's helpful obtaining As in every module too because you can put that information on your UCAS application, which shows them you're not only getting As overall, but are also consistently performing well.

I think one of the most important factors taken into consideration by LSE admissions is your personal statement. Start it early (I started in the summer - although this was because I was considering applying for Oxbridge which has a slightly earlier deadline than the rest of the unis) as it'll give you time to prepare several drafts. I am not exaggerating, I had around 50 drafts until it sounded right to me, which clearly proved useful! Use the TSR personal statement service, it is so good! (Well I found it was for Law anyway!) The PS helpers seem like they genuinely want to help you and actually provide lots of constructive criticism. The person that helped me with mine is actually studying Law at LSE so that was helpful. Also get your grammar/spelling checked by several people as I was told that one error could lead to a rejection at somewhere like LSE! (Especially for Law!)

Wow, thank you so much for all the advise.

I am in year 12 so will start focusing on my PS once exams are over, I have already had to create a shortened version as I applied for a place at UNIQ this summer but I'll definitely check out the TSR PS service as I didn't really know what University's would be looking for when I was doing this.

Good luck in you exams!
Reply 9
Original post by maarg13
Wow, thank you so much for all the advise.

I am in year 12 so will start focusing on my PS once exams are over, I have already had to create a shortened version as I applied for a place at UNIQ this summer but I'll definitely check out the TSR PS service as I didn't really know what University's would be looking for when I was doing this.

Good luck in you exams!

Yup it's best to focus on your exams at the moment, they're most integral.

Oh wow that's cool, I was just going to say it's good to do things like summer schools, UNIQ, debating/mooting, going to see court cases, etc. because you can write about the experience in your personal statement (which I was able to do!) They're better than work experience at a law firm (or something alike) cos you can actually give your views on a subject and write about your personal experience on the theoretical side of law (cos that's what a Law degree is about! Not the practical Bar stuff!) It's also good to get reading some books/articles on law in the summer, so you can present your opinions of them in your personal statement.

Good luck with your exams and your UNIQ application! If you need any help with your personal statement/UCAS application in the summer, feel free to message me. :smile:
Reply 10
/boast thread
The whole 'GCSE nazi' thing is a myth which they dispeled at the open day. I've seen a lot of people in real life and on TSR get offers from them with all ranges of GCSEs, some didn't even have any A*s. It appears that they factor the Personal Statement more important than they do grades. A few of my friends with flawless academics got turned down because of their PS, while others with more modest offerings yet 'good' PSes have gotten offers.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think you guys are overestimating the importance of the personal statement. It's been well publicized that admissions tutors are starting to become clued up to the fact that a large proportion of PS's aren't even written by the students themselves. And even if they are, there's so much help and input from teachers, family members and so on, that the PS's becomes a product of how much help you got for it rather than actually expressing your honest opinions and ambitions. The same goes for teacher statements - they're all going to make present students as perfect specimens, and the admissions tutors know this.
Original post by Mike_123
/boast thread

If I was boasting I wouldn't put my GCSEs on here like that.

I guess you have the right to boast though :tongue: You've got offers from amazing places! Well done :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
The whole 'GCSE nazi' thing is a myth which they dispeled at the open day. I've seen a lot of people in real life and on TSR get offers from them with all ranges of GCSEs, some didn't even have any A*s. It appears that they factor the Personal Statement more important than they do grades. A few of my friends with flawless academics got turned down because of their PS, while others with more modest offerings yet 'good' PSes have gotten offers.

Yeah I'm guessing it's the personal statement, I didn't really have anything else 'amazing'
Original post by ParetoOptimum
I think you guys are overestimating the importance of the personal statement. It's been well publicized that admissions tutors are starting to become clued up to the fact that a large proportion of PS's aren't even written by the students themselves. And even if they are, there's so much help and input from teachers, family members and so on, that the PS's becomes a product of how much help you got for it rather than actually expressing your honest opinions and ambitions. The same goes for teacher statements - they're all going to make present students as perfect specimens, and the admissions tutors know this.

I so agree with this. A bad PS can be like advertising a poor product. Without substance it is still poor. Unis want authenticity. You simply can not fake that by oozing "passion" lol.
Original post by Old_Simon
I so agree with this. A bad PS can be like advertising a poor product. Without substance it is still poor. Unis want authenticity. You simply can not fake that by oozing "passion" lol.

So you think they don't place much emphasis on personal statements?
So you think they don't place much emphasis on personal statements?

I never said that at all. I certainly meant to suggest they pay little attention to over hyped stuff obviously written by any one other than the applicant and full of insubstantial puffery. You can not write about stuff unless you have done stuff. That is authenticity.
Original post by Old_Simon
I never said that at all. I certainly meant to suggest they pay little attention to over hyped stuff obviously written by any one other than the applicant and full of insubstantial puffery. You can not write about stuff unless you have done stuff. That is authenticity.

Ah, don't worry I get you now :biggrin:
Reply 19
Just to say that at the open day today the admissions people were talking about how important a good personal statement is as they get so many applicant per place, so I'd really work at it. They also said as I think has been said here already that it has to seem authentic, and has to come from you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending