Help I have been refused student finance for the first year!

Watch
Heidimoore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have been refused because I have completed a HNC in Business in 2004 which I paid for by myself. I am a mature student wanting to complete a 3 year full time degree from Sept 2014 and they have said that they will only provide funding for year 2 and 3. I have looked at various websites to check to see if this correct and it says 'If you’ve previously studied a higher-education course you’re generally not able to get support for a new course of an equivalent or lower qualification' but this is for a higher qualification so I do not understand. Please advise, thanks for your help. Heidi
cheesepie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Please someone with more knowledge correct me. I think it goes something like this. If you're doing a higher degree, they'll fund you for 4 years - any number of years you've done a degree for.

My situation is very similar. I did a degree in Australia so no student loan and they'll give me a tuition fee loan for 4 - 3 = 1 year. The result - I can't afford to re-train and with £9000 tuition fees, I can't see that many second degreers ever could. You can get a career development loan for up to £10000 (not sure if that's per year or overall), but there's no earnings link so you have to pay it back as soon as you've done your degree.

I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'll look for any route of appear and write to my Mr. MP. Meanwhile, it looks like I'll have to save up and apply again in another 5+ years time. I met someone on this forum who was looking at having to save $340000.

Good luck and be string. If you get anywhere, please let me know.
cheesepie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
PS http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_201332.pdf
Heidimoore
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesepie)
Please someone with more knowledge correct me. I think it goes something like this. If you're doing a higher degree, they'll fund you for 4 years - any number of years you've done a degree for.

My situation is very similar. I did a degree in Australia so no student loan and they'll give me a tuition fee loan for 4 - 3 = 1 year. The result - I can't afford to re-train and with £9000 tuition fees, I can't see that many second degreers ever could. You can get a career development loan for up to £10000 (not sure if that's per year or overall), but there's no earnings link so you have to pay it back as soon as you've done your degree.

I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I'll look for any route of appear and write to my Mr. MP. Meanwhile, it looks like I'll have to save up and apply again in another 5+ years time. I met someone on this forum who was looking at having to save $340000.

Good luck and be string. If you get anywhere, please let me know.
Thanks for replying. This is not for my second degree through, it's my first! They have said because my HNC took 2 years to do and you are able to get funding for up to 4 years I can only get 2 years, basically year 2 and 3. The thing that is confusing me the most is I have never had student finance ever and paid for the HNC myself so it doesn't make sense.
Funnily enough I did look into a career dev loan and although they told me it could not be used for a first degree, I have since had it confirmed that I can use it for a first degree but the 2 repayments would be deferred for only 2 years and would basically kick in the 3rd year....mega helpful!
It doesn't seem fair that I have not got the opportunity to get a for 3 years student finance
Heidimoore
Rep:
?
Thanks, I will use this as evidence....it says exactly what I thought...they have got it wrong but after speaking to 2 people already at the student finance department I feel as though this may be a battle I lose
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to Student Finance Support.

The funding rule is length of course +1 - previous years study.

The first year of a degree is the same as a HNC, hence why they won't fund your first year. It doesn't matter who funded the qualificaion - all they care about it whether you have a qualification at the same level.
cheesepie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Typing student finance england appeals into google came up with this as the first result.

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/media...let_1314_d.pdf

So, maybe there is a way...
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could you apply for second year entry to a degree if your HNC is equivalent to the 1st year of a degree? Then you could go straight to 2nd year and both years would be paid for.
EKMAY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hope you are right because they said I could start straight in at year 2, wont this be a bit awkward though? do I need to send modules and units???? a bit confused because they cant just 'let you on year 2 ' without sending stuff can they?
EKMAY
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can i start this year though into year 2 ? Or do i have to wait a year???
Mcdermott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry to steal this thread but I´m quite worried that my application will have the same outcome..which is really hope it wont..I am an EU student and like you I´ve studied previously but I completed a HND in one year and it was self funded. So according to the rule (degree lenght which is 3 years, + 1 - 1) should apply to me in this case, and in theory allow for 3 years funding?
Carlo871
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Heidimoore)
Thanks for replying. This is not for my second degree through, it's my first! They have said because my HNC took 2 years to do and you are able to get funding for up to 4 years I can only get 2 years, basically year 2 and 3. The thing that is confusing me the most is I have never had student finance ever and paid for the HNC myself so it doesn't make sense.
Funnily enough I did look into a career dev loan and although they told me it could not be used for a first degree, I have since had it confirmed that I can use it for a first degree but the 2 repayments would be deferred for only 2 years and would basically kick in the 3rd year....mega helpful!
It doesn't seem fair that I have not got the opportunity to get a for 3 years student finance
If you self funded you should be eligible.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carlo871)
They've probably got their degree now.
Shirohige
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Carlo871)
As far as i know, it doesn't matter if you self funded, it still counts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (177)
44.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.78%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.02%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (85)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.77%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.76%

Watched Threads