I would really like some help choosing my uni firm/insurance choices!!!

Watch
Squid95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've received 5 offers for Computer Science, all 4 year courses.

Glasgow: AAB
Edinburgh: AAA
King's College: AAB
University of Surrey: AAB
UCL: A*AA

I really really would like to go to UCL, it's my dream uni, so I guess that should be my firm choice. I also really like Surrey.

But I'm really worried that I will not achieve the grades for UCL.
My AS grades were Physics B, Ancient History A, and Maths A. I also got B in my dropped subject Art. I'm doing a computer science related EPQ and aiming for A/A* in it.

I have a chance of going for the A* in Ancient History. A in Maths should be attainable.

Physics... that's worrying. What if I get a B? It's going to be a real push for an A. Although I am going to get a tutor.

Are my chances for UCL really bad? Should I just go all out for Surrey?
I'm really worried what should I do???

Help would be much appreciated!!!
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Firm UCL and put Surrey as your insurance. That way, if you get the A*AA, great, you'll get into UCL but if not, you've got the AAB at Surrey to fall back on.
Squid95
Rep:
?
If I do that, and miss UCL and go to Surrey, are my chances of good accommodation there bad?
afterallthistime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree, especially if you'd be happy to go to Surrey if you didn't get into UCL! Plus you never know if you don't try! I'm sure if you try hard enough you can get your physics grade up to an A!
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Getting better accommodation is not worth not going to the uni you want to. Put UCL as your firm, work your butt off and be very happy when you start there in September.
Squid95
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, you're more supportive than some of my teachers!
afterallthistime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good luck with getting your grades! I'm sure your hard work will pay off! And well done for getting all 5 offers by the way!
Zottula
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It sounds to me like you have already sorted out your firm and insurance choices. UCL is a good firm choice. Try your best - it sounds like A*AA is not unrealistic for you. However, seeing as you like Surrey university it's good that you will have that to fall back on if you miss your UCL offer.

(Original post by Squid95)
If I do that, and miss UCL and go to Surrey, are my chances of good accommodation there bad?

I don't know much about Surrey, but after a quick search I think you will be ok for accommodation.

http://www.surrey.ac.uk/discover/spa...%A6-guaranteed - it says that "As a first-year student, you will be guaranteed a place in University accommodation" and "To be guaranteed a place in University accommodation all undergraduate students need to apply by 1 September"

There is also a FAQ here - http://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/applicants/faqs/ - where it says that rooms are not allocated on a first come first served basis, so applying early does not give you an advantage.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Surrey guarantee accommodation to all first year undergraduates as long as they apply before September 1st.
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends but a lot of unis guarantee accommodation for 1st years anyway but even if you don't get a decent one then at least you'll be at a uni you like. The accommodation isn't half as important as the uni and course itself.

Tip: Press the 'Reply' or '+"' button at the bottom of someone's post to reply to them. If you don't reply directly then they don't get a notification so they might miss your answer unless they happen to check back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.62%
I'm not sure (54)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.16%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (576)
48.69%

Watched Threads