What is a ''real feminist'' ? Watch

GenghisKhan'sDNA
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
if i had a nickel for each time i've seen a feminist say another feminist is not a ''real feminist''... so, feminists, what is a ''real feminist''? and if you're gonna say someone who believes ''men and women should be equal'' what does that mean exactly?
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Feminism should be equality between genders, but TBH in the current modern state and from what I have personally seen, it unfortunately is not. If that was the case it would be called egalitarianism. The very name implies a certain degree of female superiority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Right, what the guy above said is crap, because the reason it is called feminism is due to the historical roots, you can look that up. People should really do their research before posting on topics they know nothing about

A feminist is someone who believes in equality between men and women. I can't tell you what that means because there are lots of opinions on it. Some feminists want equality of opportunity, some want equality of outcome, some want legal equality, some want a societal change.

People seem to have this idea that feminists all think the same when in reality, we're all different people with different beliefs.
HeyThereItsKate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The term "real feminist" probably has some relation to the straw feminist and the negative portrayal of feminism in a lot of media. A good resource for understanding what the straw feminist is is this old YouTube video about it by feminist frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends which one you're talking to. It's the same for theists; anyone that doesn't agree with what they've said isn't a real x.
GenghisKhan'sDNA
Rep:
?
(Original post by HeyThereItsKate)
The term "real feminist" probably has some relation to the straw feminist and the negative portrayal of feminism in a lot of media. A good resource for understanding what the straw feminist is is this old YouTube video about it by feminist frequency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i've seen plenty of feminists call her a nutter. she is the typical western, white, middle class, tumblr feminist obsessed with video games or that 2 women talking in movies ''test'' while ignoring real issues like how muslim women are treated abroad or even in the west. so not a real feminist.
Algorithm69
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A mythological creature akin to Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster. Reports of sightings appear from time to time, but thus far every instance has been exposed as a hoax.

Cryptozoologists continue their search.
ArtGoblin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People use the term "real feminist" when they're trying to disassociate themselves from someone who calls themselves a feminist but has different and usually more extreme views than them. This is understandable because we're often accused of supporting certain ideas just because someone else who is also a feminist supports them when in reality feminism is a broad movement that encompasses lots of different views. All feminists don't believe the same thing and there is no version that is the "correct" way of doing feminism. However, if someone has obviously misunderstood what feminism is about (for example, I once came across someone on here saying they were a feminist because women were weak and needed protection) then I wouldn't call them a feminist even if they thought they were.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GenghisKhan'sDNA)
i've seen plenty of feminists call her a nutter. she is the typical western, white, middle class, tumblr feminist obsessed with video games or that 2 women talking in movies ''test'' while ignoring real issues like how muslim women are treated abroad or even in the west. so not a real feminist.
Who are you to dictate what counts as 'real issues' though?
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there for whom video games are a major part of their life.

I think if someone has an experience that negatively effects them then talking about it is important. No matter what the context is.
GenghisKhan'sDNA
Rep:
?
(Original post by redferry)
Who are you to dictate what counts as 'real issues' though?
i am golf oscar delta.
ohland
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on who you ask, there isn't one definition. For me, it's equality for all genders whilst also respecting our natural differences. That and free choice and no judgement when it comes to gender expression and roles.
GenghisKhan'sDNA
Rep:
?
(Original post by ohland)
Depends on who you ask, there isn't one definition. For me, it's equality for all genders whilst also respecting our natural differences. That and free choice and no judgement when it comes to gender expression and roles.
most feminists will tell you almost all these differences are fabricated.
samba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
Right, what the guy above said is crap, because the reason it is called feminism is due to the historical roots, you can look that up. People should really do their research before posting on topics they know nothing about

A feminist is someone who believes in equality between men and women. I can't tell you what that means because there are lots of opinions on it. Some feminists want equality of opportunity, some want equality of outcome, some want legal equality, some want a societal change.

People seem to have this idea that feminists all think the same when in reality, we're all different people with different beliefs.
No.

I debated this the other week with a load of them and one thing was conclusively clear. They are interested in advancing the rights of women, not in maintaining equality.

There is tacit support amongst [the feminists I have spoken to] for the denigration of men in this process, as they see that as a prerequisite to redressing the balance.
lNurl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
basically feminists are people who assume that senior engineer men and women at reception should earn the same money.

Women are selfish (western women especially), they want everything for themselves, they don't really care about other women in muslim countries. Like you see in relationship forums, when muslim girl says "I have some problems at family", they either ignore it, or try make drama, such as "Call police", "Leave the house". Do they care for they girl? NO, who thinks where she will live when she leaves house? How she will be able to survive? how she can find a job where graduates struggle to find entry level jobs. Honestly, I mainly see useful comments from men, saying, "save up for X years then leave", "try to talk".

When you give power to women she wants more! That superiority desire inside female's brain greater than men's.

"Real feminists" are joke, especially in the west.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by majmuh24)
Feminism should be equality between genders, but TBH in the current modern state and from what I have personally seen, it unfortunately is not. If that was the case it would be called egalitarianism. The very name implies a certain degree of female superiority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am so sick of this line. Egalitarianism is a belief system or philosophy. Feminism is a movement or ideology. Feminism can (and should) form part of an egalitarian mindset, in the same way that liberalism, communism, anarchism, gay rights advocation, or any number of ideologies/movements can. It is down to individuals to have their pet causes. You might get an environmentalist who dedicates most of his time to saving the North Pacific right whale, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about snow leopards. You wouldn't say 'lol North Pacific right whale conservation is stupid, if you really cared about animals it would be called environmentalism'. See how stupid that sounds? The guy in the example is an environmentalist who focuses on right whale conservation. A feminist is an egalitarian who focuses on gender. It's that simple. Now stop using that idiotic ****ing line.
GenghisKhan'sDNA
Rep:
?
(Original post by lNurl)
basically feminists are people who assume that senior engineer men and women at reception should earn the same money.

Women are selfish (western women especially), they want everything for themselves, they don't really care about other women in muslim countries. Like you see in relationship forums, when muslim girl says "I have some problems at family", they either ignore it, or try make drama, such as "Call police", "Leave the house". Do they care for they girl? NO, who thinks where she will live when she leaves house? How she will be able to survive? how she can find a job where graduates struggle to find entry level jobs. Honestly, I mainly see useful comments from men, saying, "save up for X years then leave", "try to talk".

When you give power to women she wants more! That superiority desire inside female's brain greater than men's.

"Real feminists" are joke, especially in the west.
woman going against the sisterhood? that happens so rarely, 99% of the time they are like a bee hive and stick up for each other, wrong or right.
samba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
I am so sick of this line. Egalitarianism is a belief system or philosophy. Feminism is a movement or ideology. Feminism can (and should) form part of an egalitarian mindset, in the same way that liberalism, communism, anarchism, gay rights advocation, or any number of ideologies/movements can. It is down to individuals to have their pet causes. You might get an environmentalist who dedicates most of his time to saving the North Pacific right whale, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about snow leopards. You wouldn't say 'lol North Pacific right whale conservation is stupid, if you really cared about animals it would be called environmentalism'. See how stupid that sounds? The guy in the example is an environmentalist who focuses on right whale conservation. A feminist is an egalitarian who focuses on gender. It's that simple. Now stop using that idiotic ****ing line.
All good except that part.
lNurl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GenghisKhan'sDNA)
woman going against the sisterhood? that happens so rarely, 99% of the time they are like a bee hive and stick up for each other, wrong or right.
If women stick up for each other it means they have something in their mind too. It's not for sisterhood, it's for reason, for long term gain.
GenghisKhan'sDNA
Rep:
?
(Original post by lNurl)
If women stick up for each other it means they have something in their mind too. It's not for sisterhood, it's for reason, for long term gain.
of course. they are like the mafia. they protect the other made guys not because they love them but because it's to their personal advantage in the long term. ''"Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you, but don't ever side with anyone against the family again, ever."
Implication
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think I've yet met a feminist who actually bothered to define the ridiculous phrases they use like 'rape culture' and 'sexual objectification'. Typically feminists seem to be almost as bad as proponents of alternative medicine, astrology, religion etc. at actually justifying the beliefs they hold about the real world.

A 'real' feminist, I suspect, is just a feminist who happens to believe the same things as oneself. Its probably just a no true Scotsman fallacy, actually, that allows feminists to throw around phrases like 'all feminists...'

Before anyone asks, I don't label myself a feminist for the same reason I don't label myself a non-racist, non-homophobe or a non-sexist in general. It shouldn't need to be said and I don't see a reason to raise one type of inequality as more important than the others...

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads