Help, opinions and the like on doing English at KCL

Watch
alittlehazy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello there

So I applied for and English and Film Studies course at several London Unis. Got accepted to RHUL, Brunel and KCL. The first two are unconditional and the KCL offer is only subject to me getting a certain IELTS score, as I'm not from the UK. I already have done an IELTS test and have the needed score. So...technically I guess you could look at it as an unconditional too.

Now, I never expected to be accepted to King's. I mean, I applied because I figured "might as well, I'm pretty sure I'll be accepted to one of the others". I went and looked at Rhul's campus last week for an applicant visit day and I absolutely love the place. Accommodation is beautiful, like I never thought university dorms could be such pretty rooms. And generally I just really liked it.

Now my question is, I guess, am I right in feeling like a bit of an idiot if I decline KCL for RHUL's sake? Because King's has such a reputation for being a great university, would I have better chances for finding a job after uni, is the course amazing etc.? Is anyone here at King's doing English (with Film or without) and can tell me how they like it? Since I'm going back to Austria on Saturday I don't have time to go look at KCL, which is a shame. I wish I had a bit more confidence and didn't just assume I wouldn't get accepted. :/

Thank you so much in advance
NiallD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have an offer for English and Film Studies, haven't firmed it yet but pretty sure I will in the next week or so. I was at an open day recently at absolutely loved it, both the English and Film Studies courses seemed great - the first year you don't have much choice but for years 2 and 3 there's loads of choice so you can basically shape your degree on what you're interested in. I really loved the whole feel of the Strand campus as well, all the staff and students I talked to seemed really lovely, and the location is absolutely perfect for me. I think if you really want to get a proper London experience at Uni, which I assume you do as you've applied to all London unis, then KCL would probably be better on that front as the Strand campus really couldn't be more central - you're right on the doorstep of so many brilliant things to do and see, especially compared to RHUL which is quite a far way out from central London and I'd imagine you wouldn't get that much of a London experience if you went there. Also the KCL course is 75% English and 25% Film Studies so that's something to consider if you'd rather have equal content in both subjects. It's really down to you though - yes KCL would probably be more recognised and might put you in a better position in terms of employment, but if you do really well in RHUL and get a high degree then you should be fine on that front. I would say that if you really want to go to RHUL all things considered, then don't let the prestige of KCL change your mind
alittlehazy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by NiallD)
I have an offer for English and Film Studies, haven't firmed it yet but pretty sure I will in the next week or so. I was at an open day recently at absolutely loved it, both the English and Film Studies courses seemed great - the first year you don't have much choice but for years 2 and 3 there's loads of choice so you can basically shape your degree on what you're interested in. I really loved the whole feel of the Strand campus as well, all the staff and students I talked to seemed really lovely, and the location is absolutely perfect for me. I think if you really want to get a proper London experience at Uni, which I assume you do as you've applied to all London unis, then KCL would probably be better on that front as the Strand campus really couldn't be more central - you're right on the doorstep of so many brilliant things to do and see, especially compared to RHUL which is quite a far way out from central London and I'd imagine you wouldn't get that much of a London experience if you went there. Also the KCL course is 75% English and 25% Film Studies so that's something to consider if you'd rather have equal content in both subjects. It's really down to you though - yes KCL would probably be more recognised and might put you in a better position in terms of employment, but if you do really well in RHUL and get a high degree then you should be fine on that front. I would say that if you really want to go to RHUL all things considered, then don't let the prestige of KCL change your mind
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I'll go look at the Strand campus today. Not much more I can do really. Then I'll hide at home for a few days with a stash of snacks and won't come out again until I've reached a decision :P

yeah, being in the middle of London is a massive plus for me. When I didn't have an offer from KCL yet, I sort of had to come to terms with living in Surrey and I'm sure I wouldn't be unhappy there but now that I have the choice,..tricky. Also, did you get to take a look at the accommodation? What I saw on the website looked much less impressive than the rooms I saw at RHUL, which is of course also a factor, since I'll have to live there for an entire year, including some of the holidays, since I can't afford to fly home every holiday. So feeling at home would be essential.
NiallD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alittlehazy)
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I'll go look at the Strand campus today. Not much more I can do really. Then I'll hide at home for a few days with a stash of snacks and won't come out again until I've reached a decision :P

yeah, being in the middle of London is a massive plus for me. When I didn't have an offer from KCL yet, I sort of had to come to terms with living in Surrey and I'm sure I wouldn't be unhappy there but now that I have the choice,..tricky. Also, did you get to take a look at the accommodation? What I saw on the website looked much less impressive than the rooms I saw at RHUL, which is of course also a factor, since I'll have to live there for an entire year, including some of the holidays, since I can't afford to fly home every holiday. So feeling at home would be essential.
Yeah there was a short accommodation tour, but I only got to see one place (Stamford Street apartments) which was great in terms of proximity to the Waterloo and Strand campuses, but the actual rooms weren't that nice and apparently it's really unsocial, and also very expensive. There are quite a few other places for accommodation though, but most of them are pretty expensive and some don't seem that great. Hampstead Residence looks quite nice and is the cheapest, but it's quite a fair way out of campus and would take about 40 mins to get to Strand campus each day. So yeah all in all accommodation for KCL isn't too great, it's not as big a deal for me as I only live about an hours train ride away from London and I'd go back for all holidays etc but I can see why it would be a bigger issue for you. If money's not that much of an issue for you though, you can probably get some nicer accommodation in a good location for a higher price
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.07%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (647)
49.2%

Watched Threads