The Student Room Group

Exams at the end or regular assessment: which would you prefer?

Poll

How would you prefer to be assessed?

Imagine you had to make a choice for all of your A-levels. You could choose to have them all marked on regular assessment throughout the course (coursework etc) or solely on exams at the end of the course.

Which would you go for?
Reply 1
Original post by shooks
Imagine you had to make a choice for all of your A-levels. You could choose to have them all marked on regular assessment throughout the course (coursework etc) or solely on exams at the end of the course.

Which would you go for?

Definitely exams :yep: . For some reason, I can commit a large amount of information to my short-term memory, but don't really have the attention span for something like coursework :tongue: . It's beginning to be a bit detrimental now that most of my degree is coursework-based lab work :lol:
Reply 2
Original post by shooks

Which would you go for?

Definitely exams! I seem to fail tests/homework all year round and then it just tends to click at the end of the year just before exams :smile: oh and I procrastinate way too much for coursework to be good for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shooks

Which would you go for?

Is this for all of them? I have different thoughts depending on the subject, you see.

Original post by Nirgilis
Definitely exams :yep: . For some reason, I can commit a large amount of information to my short-term memory, but don't really have the attention span for something like coursework :tongue: . It's beginning to be a bit detrimental now that most of my degree is coursework-based lab work :lol:

xD
Reply 4
Exams at the end! I'm horrible at coursework :lol:
Reply 5
I would have to say for me coursework may be good, doing geography history economics and psychology. I think it could be good for geography and I know at A2 you do it for history. I prefer course work as long as I don't leave it to the last minute.:tongue:

Exams are better if you do sciences. You couldn't really do coursework for maths and I know a lot of people who do not like practical work in biology, physics and chemistry.
Exams. You're more comfortable with the course and can space out revision with learning better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exams, I'm terrible at coursework!

No iPad this time? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half and Half. It's better for me and, in most cases, candidates come out with higher grades.

It's simple really - if you do coursework during the school year and lets say get a B, when it comes to the exam part you can get a C and chances are you'll still get a B. Even better get an A in the CW and you can get a D in the exam!

I think the half and half approach, like History at A2, gives more scope for better grades.

Indeed, if you are better at exams then it works the opposite way, you can afford to get say a D in your coursework an A in the exam and still get a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like the system my university has:
For an average first year module
10% of marks come from written assignments
10% come from computer assignments (we get questions and we submit the answers onto this thingy online)
80% come from the exam.

I like this because the assignments do help us understand the topics in greater detail than just listening to the lecturer and then reading back through our notes.

So I prefer a mixture!

Quick Reply

Latest