The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Broadgate park, should I accept the offer?

hi!
I'm a postgraduate student who got an offer for Broadgate park. I read awful things about it and I have no chance of visisting before accepting.
I was offered a large room in Salthouse building, how is it? Is it one of the old ones? Should I accept the offer?

What about private accomodation? I found many nice rooms in shared apartments, is it better to rent one of them rather than halls? What about the bills? they're not included, but how much could it be approximately? Which neighboorhood is better as for distance and social life?

Than you very much guys:smile:

Francesca
Reply 1
Postgrad I would suggest not staying in halls anyway, have a look around Lenton or Dunkirk for rooms available
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by lx491
Postgrad I would suggest not staying in halls anyway, have a look around Lenton or Dunkirk for rooms available

thanks! I think I will follow your advice, but why are you saying so? Are halls full of undegraduates only?
Reply 3
Essentially yes, but I think it's more that the different mindset for first years would be difficult compared to living with second/third years, not just because of being undergraduates.

I believe (pretty sure not by request) they put people in your position together in Broadgate to make it more suitable, it might be a bit strange though being in a flat surrounded by first years, which is why I think a house share with 2nd-4th year undergrads would be good if you can find a place with a nice group of people.

I've been living in a house of 4 this year with huge bedrooms so heating is comparatively expensive, but for an idea of bills: rent is £65, electricity and water £3 a week, gas £3 and internet £1.50. Total is £72.50. The great thing is we get a living room, dishwasher and washer/dryer included.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
From what i understand, both from what i've read and past experience of halls at Reading (so not completely comparable), with a halls like Broadgate that have their own campus there are two different types of accommodation. There is the main set that is for the freshers, and they're all kept together, and then there are the smaller buildings on the same "campus" but not connected to that main hall, and that's where the postgrad students stay. I don't know if that's the case 100%, but i'd be very surprised if it weren't very similar.

I'm heading to Nottingham in September for a Masters in Public Policy and Broadgate is my top choice (that said i wanted some of the fun of halls as well as the serious side of the degree).

Quick Reply