?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering
CraigKirk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Probably a combination of the fact that it's the most common cancer and the fact that it can be more easily detected earlier compared to others just by self-checking, so it makes sense to get everyone educated.
username1107539
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's easier to publicise something already in the media than to break down social barriers and embarrassment to raise awareness of other cancers - hence why prostate cancer is so widely ignored, people are too embarrassed to talk about it, let alone go to their doctor if something's not right. Sad but true
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's a man's world and breasts are very important organs for most men.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because titty cancer is a travesty.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a number of factors. It's common, easy to detect and most importantly perhaps, the survival rate is relatively high. People don't like donating money to lost causes.

Also there are some very prominent breast cancer organisations in the US that basically monopolise cancer awareness donations, to the detriment of other cancer charities.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's so easy to survive that more vulnerable people suffering worse should be forgotten or put down like dogs? Oh dear.
CraigKirk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Snagprophet)
It's so easy to survive that more vulnerable people suffering worse should be forgotten or put down like dogs? Oh dear.
No, I think here, healthcare is trying to make the best out of a bad situation. True, people with other forms of cancer have a worse prognosis, but that's more because other types of cancer are more difficult to detect since they're often asymptomatic or the symptoms are barely noticeable. Since they are therefore generally detected later, the cancer has advanced to a more malignant stage and is therefore much more difficult to treat. Take pancreatic cancer as an example - this form of cancer is very difficult to notice at an early stage because it is so asymptomatic. Therefore when it is detected, pancreatic cancer is quite often terminal, so despite best efforts, it cannot be cured. It's not like these people are 'forgotten or put down like dogs' at all, that's massively over-sensationalised - in fact, people still receive palliative care to make their passing away easier.

Breast cancer, on the other hand, quite often displays more noticeable symptoms such as a lump in the breast which can be palpable at a reasonably early stage of tumour development. As such, the patient can be diagnosed earlier when the cancer is less malignant, can often be cured and therefore survival rates for breast cancer are much higher.

There's nothing wrong with specifically educating people on being able to prevent this form of cancer, especially since it is overall the most common even though it usually only happens in women. As I said before, it's making the best of a bad situation.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What gets me is that lots of people think men can't get breast cancer. I mean only !% of breast cancer cases are in men but that's a significant amount of people some refuse to acknowledge exist...
puma21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it mainly happens to women.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's the most common cancer by incidence. It's not that much higher than lung cancer though and lung cancer has a much higher mortality rate... and much lower amount of funding.

The amount of funding for breast cancer is wholly disproportionate to its incidence rate. If the money donated would otherwise have been spent on **** nobody needs then fine, but the idea that money is being diverted to breast cancer that would otherwise have funded general cancer research makes me feel uncomfortable.
username1337098
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's very common, and it can affect women of any age and easily be fatal, unlike other cancers. It's also preventable if caught early enough, hence why a lot of effort has gone into raising awareness of the signs.

In the 90s I believe a certain family decided to dedicate their lives to promoting awareness for it after losing a member of their family, and evidently were very successful.

Unlike MRAs, who prefer to sit at their computer desks and complain about feminism as their main form of campaigning.
SomePaleChick
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some of above posts are right , I also think it's because of vanity as well.
Some breast cancer campaigns look like they're more interested in what the breast looks like as a result than the actual physical health problems the cancer proposes.

Campaigns like this for example...
Name:  boobies2090310.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  29.8 KB
username1296076
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's strange that breast cancer campaigns rarely mention men despite them suffering 10% of all breast cancers.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aren't like 1 in 3 women meant to get it in their lifetime?

It's a big deal. I'm all for raising awareness.
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most cancer awareness is driven by charity. If you'd like some more awareness for men's cancers, go out and do it - nothing is stopping you.
rlw31
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Llamageddon)
It's the most common cancer by incidence. It's not that much higher than lung cancer though and lung cancer has a much higher mortality rate... and much lower amount of funding.

The amount of funding for breast cancer is wholly disproportionate to its incidence rate. If the money donated would otherwise have been spent on **** nobody needs then fine, but the idea that money is being diverted to breast cancer that would otherwise have funded general cancer research makes me feel uncomfortable.
Is that actually the case though?
curlywurly1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
its the most commons type of cancer in women, so I guess that's why they raise greater awareness of it!
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
Just wondering
Breast cancer tends to kill people early compared with most other cancers and is relatively easy to treat.
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Most cancer awareness is driven by charity. If you'd like some more awareness for men's cancers, go out and do it - nothing is stopping you.
Right, because this is what the whole point of the thread was about :rolleyes:

The no make up campaign and everyone talking about it just reminded me of the girl with pancreatic cancer saying she wished she had breast cancer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (53)
23.98%
My career doesn't need one (30)
13.57%
I'm sick of studying (45)
20.36%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.26%
I don't know enough about them (16)
7.24%