Things you wish you knew before applying for medicine 2014 Watch

purple and gold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
this is a thread in which you can post things you wish you knew before you applied to a particular medical school.

Also was there something that you didn't like about said medical school.

hopefully It can be useful to those who wish to apply in the many years to come.
Ps this allies to everyone - grads, undergrads, re applicants and school leavers.
Medicine.Mentoring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That I didn't need to spend hours and hours trying to shadow a prestigious consultant: a couple of afternoons with my local GP would have given me all I needed to talk about at interview and the insight into Medicine I needed.

Also, doing a research project during A-levels gave me more to talk about at interview than I ever could have imagined.
Rishi171
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All I needed to do was apply to the right universities and do well on the entrance exams (and thankfully I did). The rest really didn't seem to matter all that much in the end
purple and gold
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Rishi171)
All I needed to do was apply to the right universities and do well on the entrance exams (and thankfully I did). The rest really didn't seem to matter all that much in the end
Have you got offers from any unis?
Rishi171
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by purple and gold)
Have you got offers from any unis?
Yeah, Imperial and Durham for Medicine (both AAA offers) and Nottingham for Biomedical Sciences (Unconditional)
Gibber96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hate to be rude, but there's not really that much of an excuse to apply while uninformed. All the information is out there, there are Open Days everywhere (I appreciate that you can't necessarily make it to all the open days of the unis that you actually apply to).

It's different if you realise that you've done too much volunteering or work experience and you can't manage to talk about half of it, but the more insight you get into the profession, the better, so it doesn't really hurt.

I suppose people might regret NOT applying to a uni out of fear that it would be too risky, only to get other offers anyway, meaning that they could have risked a tricker choice. But I don't think many people who get offers are ever disappointed.
Esta16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Play to your strengths not where you love.
ameelia22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That Leeds are full of BS.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ameelia22)
That Leeds are full of BS.
So true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quilverine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That my degree classification and experience wouldn't count for much without a top 10% ukcat score. Here's hoping a 100 point increase is doable.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish id comprehended just how long the process would feel and would be!
I also wish I'd done even more research into entry criteria etc and from that applied seriously tactically

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiabeticPanda
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
- The UKCAT is much more important than GCSE/AS

- A lot of the people you think are guaranteed to get into medicine will not get in

- The EPQ is a massive help for interviews

- Don't turn up stressed to interviews. Arrive much earlier than needed (if it's more than a few hours train journey stay the night before). It's unbelievable how much stress can ruin an interview for you.

- ~65% of people don't get offers

- Do your research on entry requirements when you apply. You should have a >80% chance of getting an interview at every university you apply for in my opinion

- Make sure you know the course like the back of your hand for any interviews

- Don't look like you're going to a funeral, and don't wear anything too loud. Slightly more casual suits work best in my opinion.

- The most important thing in year 13 is not getting an offer, it's getting AAA.

- A lot of non-medics will have no idea how hard you've worked for your offers. Only other medics/your parents/some teachers will understand.

- Make sure that all of your teachers like you throughout Sixth Form. If you miss out on an A at AS, they might still predict you one if you're a good student.

- I never want to go through the process again.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing St Johns Ambulance was a waste of time
As was my 2 days of hospital experience.

If a medical school gives offers of A*AA-AAA; don't apply with predictions or achieved AAA because they'll be so many people with A*AA you will lose out on competition

Go to the interview with confidence. They chose you. Act as if they need you! Prepare very well for it and give both sides of an ethical argument.

UKCAT will break or make your application 90% of the time. Do well in it or your choices will be limited.

-successful reapplicant
Medicine.Mentoring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Miel Purple)
What made you think they were a waste of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Medicine.Mentoring)
What made you think they were a waste of time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was personal to me...but I had so much other stuff more worthy to put on my application, I couldn't add St. John's (besides i didn't even go out to do first aid at all due to admin issues)

Those 2 days of work experience weren't useful to me as I was a HCA so I discussed a lot about HCA...

As a reapplicant I felt that my job was more useful than anything else on my application.
Medicine.Mentoring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This was personal to me...but I had so much other stuff more worthy to put on my application, I couldn't add St. John's (besides i didn't even go out to do first aid at all due to admin issues)

Those 2 days of work experience weren't useful to me as I was a HCA so I discussed a lot about HCA...

As a reapplicant I felt that my job was more useful than anything else on my application.
I understand now: getting a HCA job is, in my opinion, probably the best thing you can do to strengthen an application to medical school. Not only does it give you a lot to talk about, but the added maturity that working in a clinical environment gives really shows at interview.

Congratulations on the place at medical school, and good luck for the future.
Miel Purple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Medicine.Mentoring)
I understand now: getting a HCA job is, in my opinion, probably the best thing you can do to strengthen an application to medical school. Not only does it give you a lot to talk about, but the added maturity that working in a clinical environment gives really shows at interview.

Congratulations on the place at medical school, and good luck for the future.
Exactly, the interviewers were so keen to find out more about my job, what I did, what I learnt, it was a great opportunity to discuss it all!

Thank you very much
MLeach
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2631580

Guys if you're planning on applying or reapplying for 2015 entry please join!
chowkat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
that as an international student, it's not a wise choice applying to both Durham and Newcastle since both schools will assess you based on one single interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
VK96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

If a medical school gives offers of A*AA-AAA; don't apply with predictions or achieved AAA because they'll be so many people with A*AA you will lose out on competition

Go to the interview with confidence. They chose you. Act as if they need you! Prepare very well for it and give both sides of an ethical argument.

UKCAT will break or make your application 90% of the time. Do well in it or your choices will be limited.

-successful reapplicant
I applied with prediction of AAA and a D3 in Pre-U Physics (roughly equivalent to an A at A level) and I got an offer from Birmingham of A*AA which is their standard offer.

Not saying this applies to everywhere, just that it can still work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads