The Student Room Group

GCSE resits- UCL and Kings

(edited 3 years ago)
guys.....
GCSE requirements are usually very strict, english lit doesn't matter but if you got a lower grade than they ask for in english language then you should retake. If you apply without the GCSE grades they ask for then you'll probably be rejected straight away.
ok
Reply 4
I'm not sure whether they accept the BTEC as a GCSE or not, but for Geography, UCL told me via email that I needed 5As at GCSE level.

If their website says you need a B, I'd suggest retaking English Lang. As for your literature grade, they'll probably not even look at it tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, ill email them about engineering.
Original post by particlestudent
Thanks, ill email them about engineering.

While you're doing it, as if they would accept resit GCSEs anyway, because it would be a lot of effort and money, just to be told they are only interested in the GCSE grades you got at the age of 16, not 18, which you would be by the time you did them. A lot of institutions would be uninterested in resits. Call and ask them.
Reply 7

As long as your A-Levels are good, trust me UCL and KCL will not care about your GCSE's much (as long as you have good grades in Maths and Science etc)
(edited 3 years ago)
Ok thank you guys, I've emailed them. My maths and science grades were not very bad. Do you think they would care if English was my 3rd Language? I'm African and my first language is my ethnic language, but i grew up in Sweden so i speak Swedish as well and English was the 3rd language I learnt from 8 years old and above. I speak all three languages fluently, would they like that as a quality?

Did you take the English GCSE for native speakers or non-native speakers? If the former, then you would be judged as a native speaker. If the latter, then they may ask for IELTS as proof of language proficiency, although I'm not sure about this. You could ask them. My suspicion is that you would just be assessed in the same way as any other applicant with UK GCSEs.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Did you take the English GCSE for native speakers or non-native speakers? If the former, then you would be judged as a native speaker. If the latter, then they may ask for IELTS as proof of language proficiency, although I'm not sure about this. You could ask them. My suspicion is that you would just be assessed in the same way as any other applicant with UK GCSEs.

Yes, I took the native English Language GCSE. I will ask them about this too. Hopefully they are not strict on English Language GCSE as now I'm finding my A levels to be a walk in the park.
bump
I don't think they mind too much, or at least not as much as some people have made out. Just make sure you do well in your a-levels, have a good personal statement and hope for a good reference and you'll be in with a good chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending