The Student Room Group

probabillity question

"When trials can occur in a fixed continuum of time (or distance), each instant of time (or distance) is essentially a distinct trial. Because a continuum contains an infinity of points, this means a statistical experiment may have an infinite number of trials, and the probability of each trial would approach zero."

can someone explain why the probability of each trial would approach zero?

I thought the probability of getting a specific number of successes would approach zero
Original post by crescendo7
"When trials can occur in a fixed continuum of time (or distance), each instant of time (or distance) is essentially a distinct trial. Because a continuum contains an infinity of points, this means a statistical experiment may have an infinite number of trials, and the probability of each trial would approach zero."

I thought the probability of getting a specific number of successes would approach zero

Is there an equal probability for each trial? If so, then it should be pretty simple to work it out from there using limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sum of the probabilities of all the trials must be 1.

Edit: it is not exactly clear what OP means tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by majmuh24
Is there an equal probability for each trial? If so, then it should be pretty simple to work it out from there using limits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
The sum of the probabilities of all the trials must be 1.

Edit: it is not exactly clear what OP means tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what they mean by "probability of each trial would approach zero"
Do they mean the probability of each trial occurring or the probability of success for each trial

The sum of the probabilities for success for each trial should be to 1. What happens to each probability when the number of trials approaches infinity?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what they mean by "probability of each trial would approach zero"
Do they mean the probability of each trial occurring or the probability of success for each trial

limx1x=0\displaystyle\lim_{x \to \infty} \dfrac{1}{x} = 0

Quick Reply

Latest