The Student Room Group

Accurately calculating calories burned walking

I have a reasonably healthy diet (working on keeping the protein levels at about 1.0-1.5 grams per lb bodyweight) with goals of losing bodyfat and gaining muscle. I want to smash the bodyfat loss now (get to 10% or so) and then leave that final couple of percent down to good eating.

I was 21% in January and got down to about 15% this month, all this while adding muscle mass (Tanita scales). I hit a bit of a plateau and went up to 16% fat though. I think this is because I have been inaccurately calculating the calories burned from exercise and over-eating because of hunger. Before then I had plenty of fat to burn as energy but I guess I'm getting closer to the raw amount I need to survive (although obviously still a way off). From reccommendations I use MyFitnessPal to monitor food and exercise, but I realised my cardio and exercise is probably over estimated.

I thought I walked 1km in 12.5mins, but actually I do it in about 8 mins, so I get 50% more calories burned. Plus, those things seem to base calories burned on weighing 60kg and I weigh more, so in total I have been doing about 580 calories per hour walking when it only said I was doing 244. On a calorie deficit, that many calories added on is probably putting me close to starvation and not enabling me to do optimal fat loss and muscle gaining (losing >700 calories per day when I only wanted to lose 500. I'll probably reduce it to 200-300 calories when I reach my 10% goal so I can really focus on muscle mass).

So I'm wondering how best to calculate this stuff so I can still to a very accurate calorie reading. Obviously it won't be ideal, but being over 200 calories out (and that's on a good day) means I might not be doing the best I can. Should I multiply values to include my bodyweight or are there more accurate methods available? I tried a few days with higher calories and the increased energy really helped my gym performance.

Ta

Quick Reply

Latest