The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
These are currently the best selling anti-spike device.

http://www.safeflo.co.uk/

You still can't beat common sense though.
Reply 21
Zakatu
Just a thought, but do you think bars will be reluctant to give these out. because it doesn't give them a good impression of the place does it. Its a little bit like them giving out body armout at the door incase of knife attack. People will feel the place is dangerous and perhaps not come back.

That is actually a really good point. There was an anti-spiking product on Dragon's Den last series, and none of the dragons would invest for this very reason...
Reply 22
Fluffy
That is actually a really good point. There was an anti-spiking product on Dragon's Den last series, and none of the dragons would invest for this very reason...

I think that was Safe-Flo that I mentioned earlier (which is now very sucessful).

The point is, none of those 'experts' have worked in the drinks industry.
I have done for 8 years, all of them in student-led venues. All the Licencees I know, without exception, would happily supply these products. It's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. Customers would rather see a bar being pro-active, than not seeming to care about the problem. If customers don't want to use the product, that's their decision. There are however a lot more customers who would actually like the choice.
Reply 23
simeon
I'm in the student pub/bar industry and applaud anything that helps stop spiking.

However, I really can't see any kind of legislation being passed with regard to this. The issue of plastic/safety bottles and glasses to prevent glassings/bottlings is a case in point. Everyone knows it would make sense, unyet nothing has really been done about it.

Good luck though.

Let me know if ever you need a test site.

Thank you very much for your feedback, all views and comments are critical to my market research project within student environments.
Reply 24
Zakatu
Just a thought, but do you think bars will be reluctant to give these out. because it doesn't give them a good impression of the place does it. Its a little bit like them giving out body armout at the door incase of knife attack. People will feel the place is dangerous and perhaps not come back.

I've been speaking to managers from 'Luminar PLC' (bar/club chains) and no matter how horrible this subject can be, you are right, it is all about money in this industry and the drinks industry relies so much on 'reputation'. Having this kind of product available to its consumers could have a damaging effect. All points have been taken on board and it is the bar/clubs chains I continue to speak with regarding the 'best' approach when testing and launching such a product. For the consumer 'image' is also a critical factor for them, if they don't look good holding this product then they would sadly prefer to take there chances. Thank you very much for your feed back, very much appreciated.
Reply 25
worldwide
what, like a lock on the glass? :p:

I cannot provide you with any specs/drawings/details in relation to this product as it is still in its closing stages of its Patent. However, the product is not a fixture that attaches in any way to an existing product like a glass. It is a self contained unit, 100% tamper proof, and can be left for any legths of time, with strangers, without the worry of the contained drink being contaminated.
Reply 26
random_bloke
you could just watch your glass??? nice and cheap.

I wish it was as easy as that and it would be nice for the consumers to be able to have a night out without having the risk of there drinks being spiked. Sadley this is not the case and it is like any fight against crime, it is not cheap unfortuantely but if the long term objectives are being met and the issues are being combated then we are moving forward.
Reply 27
Elipsis
I think selling these to drink companys is the best bet, imagine if WKD took them up and were seen as the responsible people, they would sell more drinks and eventually every other bottle company in the world would have to cave in under the pressure. Lucozades new bottles seem like they would be impossible to spike because of the way the cap is sealed.

A very good point, the drink companies and brewers are the ultimate target audiences, however this approach has to be approached and attended to with technical precision. It would very easy to 'scare' off these vendors because the thought can be and is worrying to them. The very thought of these activities will be bloked and ignored if they think they cause losses. However, it can work in there favor, it only takes one large vendor chain to welcome the idea, whether it be adertising or a completely new product onto the market and there is a good chance that many others would follow suit. Other vendors would not want to be seen as doing nothing about the issue and would not want to be seen as 'turning a blind eye'. Thank you for your feed back.
Reply 28
SexyKe
I think its a good idea (having being spiked myself) I found out last night that in Manchester at least after 6 bars will not be allowed to use glasses they will have to use plastic glasses instead :s-smilie:

My product once protected and tested will be manufactured using the 'Injection Moulding' proces. This means that the product will be made from a very durable plastic that looks and feels like glass but infact is light, cheap and shatter proof. Similar plastics are still being tested but either way my prodruct will be plastic. I'm sorry to hear of your experiences and hope that you are OK, thank you for your feed back on this subject.
Reply 29
Ultimately anything that is done to help stop this from happening is a good thing, i personally think that the companies producing the drink are the ones that need to be doing something.

i know that ther is no 'one easy fix' for all drink, but, and you may see this a being very presumptuous, (i know this isnt the case for all) many of the victims of this are female, and from this a large majority will be drinking alcopops, mostly through straws (i knowthisisnt 100% for all people) but a very easy 'quick fix' for this could be done, by simply scoring the metal, or some what making a section the size of a straw that would easily 'push through' (without falling into the drink) and then in pubs/clubs etc, rather than taking the bottle cap off altogether this could be pushed through and a staw inserted into it...

as i say i know it isnt an ultimate fix, and would not sort everything instantly, but this would then leave the bottle as 'spike proof' as using them devices shown on www.safeflo.co.uk or those other things (that are sold in the pubs around here for about 20p, called spikeys) this would be free, and we all know, everything boils down to money, would this not work?

also whilst mentioning those spikeys, i have heard on several occasions when they have being requested at the bar, the bar man (yes it was a man) turn round and say why would you want one of those, 'its not like your going to get spiked in here', and also so 'what are you trying to say about this pub' so i think that alot of people need to be educated about it!!!

anyway, thats my piece, and my idea, if anyone makes alot of money from it kindly donate some to me...
Reply 30
simeon

The issue of plastic/safety bottles and glasses to prevent glassings/bottlings is a case in point.

these are an excellent idea, and i think they should be used alot more.. they have alot of benefits, i mean besides people braking them to glass/bottle people, howmany times have you being in a pub/club and seen someone drop a glass, or at the very least i think mose people will have stood on broken glass in a club, this is also dangerous, as the wet floors combiend with the broken glass are VERY slippery, and if you fall on this.
for this reason they would also be cheapeer, i mean less broken glasses must be good??

lol on a side note tho, they are very wierd... if you have being given glass glass, and then suddenly a plastic one, very wierd (especially if you have had a few already), they are a lot lighter and you either feel like superman, or u pick it up thinkiing its glass, and you end up with in your face..lol
Reply 31
Just use a bit of common sense.
Reply 32
simeon
I think that was Safe-Flo that I mentioned earlier (which is now very sucessful).

The point is, none of those 'experts' have worked in the drinks industry.
I have done for 8 years, all of them in student-led venues. All the Licencees I know, without exception, would happily supply these products. It's exactly the opposite of what you're saying. Customers would rather see a bar being pro-active, than not seeming to care about the problem. If customers don't want to use the product, that's their decision. There are however a lot more customers who would actually like the choice.

I managed a very busy bar and restuarant for several years before going to uni, and know that this would have been a very definite concern given our clientel at the time... Unit price is key... The sad truth of the matter is that brewerys are more interested in looking like they care than actually caring... The cheaper item will win - if they decide to do anything at all...
the safe flo thing doesnt look like it will keep out liquids tho - only solids - there are 2 versons - a straw and non straw.

The non straw version looks rubbish - infact you would only need small tablets to put down it.

Latest

Trending

Trending