The Student Room Group

Would I be able to take 2 completely different courses at uni?

It's a bit early for this but I go to a school where all the Year 7s pretty much have their life plans written in stone so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask considering the fact Google is being no help.
Would I be able to take a foreign language and an art subject at the same time or would it be impossible?
I really want to do japanese at university (mainly for the year abroad) but at the same time, the company I hope to work for in the future require a degree in graphic design (or tons of work experience) IN ADDITION to japanese fluency for a design job.
Is there any university that would let me do both? Or would I have to choose between the two when the time comes?
Reply 1
Original post by DistantTraces
It's a bit early for this but I go to a school where all the Year 7s pretty much have their life plans written in stone so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask considering the fact Google is being no help.
Would I be able to take a foreign language and an art subject at the same time or would it be impossible?
I really want to do japanese at university (mainly for the year abroad) but at the same time, the company I hope to work for in the future require a degree in graphic design (or tons of work experience) IN ADDITION to japanese fluency for a design job.
Is there any university that would let me do both? Or would I have to choose between the two when the time comes?

It's a very obscure combination, I don't think there's a course like that. Perhaps you could go for Graphics, and learn the Japanese language in your own time.
Reply 2
You could find out of they have one of the courses that is only worth 30 points (forgot the real word for the graded system), so you can do it along side your other course. I wanted to do the same (only with computer forensics and Japanese) but turns out they only they only did this with welsh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well, my uni (Hertfordshire) offers loads of joint honours courses, whereby you take half of one subject and half of another. They don't have to be related, and I know both of those courses are offered here, so I guess it's possible. You can do a year abroad even if you don't take a language btw, but you'll need to be able to speak it to go there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DistantTraces

Lots of universities have Language centres where you can learn a language in you spare time or take modules in a certain language alongside your degree :redface:
Generally if you do find a joint honours you'll find that the degree title dictates the nature of study:

Graphic Design and Japanese would mean 50% of your degree is spent on each topic
Graphic Design with Japanese denotes a 66/33 split between the former and the latter.

However, it is a very obscure combination - I think your best option would be to:

1. Look at how many credits courses carry at different Unis. Generally you need 120 credits per year (I'm not sure if this is true for art/design courses too) and different Universities will have a different number of 'free' credits which you can use up on elective modules - the vast majority of language modules have varying levels and are open to all students.

2. Talk to the languages dept. at the Unis you'd like to attend. Many lecturers/professors across a range of topics don't mind students coming in and sitting on their lectures; though obviously you would get no formal credit for this.

3. Larger unis may also have student run societies dedicated to southeast asia or even Japan itself, which may help with developing your language skills!

Also, bear in mind that for the majority of Unis you can take a year abroad between 2nd/3rd year if your grades are good enough - you don't have to do a language course. Many Unis abroad teach courses in English (your Uni will let you know which ones) and even if they don't, it will be up to you to make the decision on whether your language skills are good enough to be taught in another language in another country.

Hope this helps!
Unfortunately there's no uni in the UK that allows you to combine graphic design and Japanese in one degree course (UCAS course search is your friend here).

However, seeing as you seem to want to work in graphic design, I'd suggest that you do a graphic design degree, and then do one or more of the following
- use some of your free choice modules (assuming you have them) to do languages. It's fairly common for unis to offer the odd language modules to all students e.g. http://www.ulc.manchester.ac.uk/languages/leap/japanese/
- do a semester or year abroad in Japan
- after you graduate, work in Japan as an English teacher, but make sure that you take Japanese language lessons yourself!

Of course, for the first two options you'll have to check that your course / uni actually allows it, but you should be able to find suitable unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending