Name this Inorganic Complex Watch

Smoke_565
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
K3[Co(CN)6]

I had tripotassium hexacyanocobalt(III) but when I googled it the formula comes up as tripotassium hexacyanocobaltate (III). Why is it cobaltate? The complex itself is neutral isn't it? 6 positive charges ( 1 from each K and Co has a 3+ charge otherwise the formula should have a negative sign outside the brackets) I thought it was neutral so the name doesn't change to 'ate' at the end? Any help please
Goods
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Smoke_565)
K3[Co(CN)6]

I had tripotassium hexacyanocobalt(III) but when I googled it the formula comes up as tripotassium hexacyanocobaltate (III). Why is it cobaltate? The complex itself is neutral isn't it? 6 positive charges ( 1 from each K and Co has a 3+ charge otherwise the formula should have a negative sign outside the brackets) I thought it was neutral so the name doesn't change to 'ate' at the end? Any help please
Exactly as the cyancolbaltate cancel out the positive charge of the potassium it must mean the compound as a whole is an ionic salt hence the suffix 'ate'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smoke_565
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So do you basically focus on what's inside the brackets for determining the charge when writing the name of your compound and ignore the counter ions? That is what is confusing me.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So do you basically focus on what's inside the brackets for determining the charge when writing the name of your compound and ignore the counter ions? That is what is confusing me.
Ionic compounds are named from the cation followed by the anion, When a metal atom is found in the anion it changes its name to identify its position. This doesn't just apply to transition metal complexes, but it's very common with them.

Iron becomes 'ferrate' etc. If there is any doubt about the oxidation state this is included as well.

Potassium hexacyanoferrate(III)
Potassium hexacyanoferrate(II)

etc.

Work out the formula from the name.

Hexa = 6 cyano groups (CN) each with a 1 negative charge
Ferrate(III) = iron with a 3+ charge
Overall then the ion has a 3 negative charge and will need 3 potassium ions to balance it.
K3[Fe(CN)6]
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The complex itself is neutral isn't it?
If the complex itself (cobalt and six CN-) were neutral it would not need three potassium cations as counterions. You mean "salt molecule" is neutral.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed