The Student Room Group

UCL or Durham for Geography and Economics joint degree?

SO I've applied for joint Economics and Geography degrees at Durham and UCL and received offers from both. Basically, I'm weighing the safer, nicer looking area of Durham and the fact that because the course there is combined social sciences degree it means I have freedom to choose many modules from other departments too (which I love because I have many interests) against UCL's potential slight reputation edge (especially abroad I hear) and the fact that they ask for slightly lower grades (AAA instead of Durham's A*AA). I'm having trouble deciding though, any advice regarding some of my questions below would be great:

I hear Durham is slightly more respected for geography but UCL is slightly ahead for economics. Is this the case and if so to what extent?

How much do their overall reputations and employability differ?

In brief what are some of the main differences between college life in each? Is UCL as isolated and lacking in community as some say?

Durham's course is a BA whereas UCL's is a BSc. Is the BA only due to tradition? And how much of a difference will this make when employers look at my degree?

Any general tips for choosing... pros, cons, etc. ?

Thanks!
Hi Rrobba,
not sure I can help you much with your post, however I'd just like to give you a heads up that UCL have changed their grades to A*AA also for Geography and Economics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending