What were you most worried about before starting uni (and how did it turn out)?

Watch
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Starting uni is an exciting but nerve-wracking time. Pretty much everyone has some worries ahead of going to uni for the first time, whether it's about being away from home, dealing with the workload, making new friends or something else.

What was your main concern before starting uni, and how did it turn out for you in the end?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 1 May to be in with a chance of winning an iPad mini.
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whether the policy against fairy lights in halls would be strictly enforced! (It wasn't )
Xabier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not at uni yet but I'm most worried about making/finding some really close friends.
dotty_but_good
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was worried about balancing work and play, it is something I still struggle with.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If sex was on tap or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KindofGood
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thought of living independently.
Shamir12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Amount of free time. Well its never enough I think lol...
MusicGirlKH
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not knowing anyone (I'm very shy) - but it turned out fine, everyone I met and lived with was lovely and friendly!
Laura1996
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was most worried about being able to afford it but there are loads of scholarships and bursaries available which have put my mind at rest
vanitachi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hm, my main concern was how to find myself on campus and get along with people from my year (truly, I am shy person) , so I (it's not a joke) asked everyone stupid 'Where-Can-I-Find..." questions and made tiki-tours around all campus 0_0'
Anyway, now with this I have many, many friends, people recognize me everytime now because of these questions, heck, even professors know, who I am and suddenly became so popular person :P ... (sometimes this can give you many troubles ;-) ) So trust me, just push yourself into this deep water and be yourself, it's really very helpful, it works on me!
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KingKumar)
I'm not at uni yet but I'm most worried about making/finding some really close friends.
I was worried about making close friends, but I needn't be. If you're in halls, everyone is in an uncomfortable situation - newfound independence, no friends, about to start studying properly - and so everyone is really willing to make friends. Unless you shut yourself in your room all day, you're bound to make friends.

If you're not in halls, you need to put in a bit more effort. But once again joining a society or sports club from the start of term will put you in a position with others who don't know anyone. And talking to people in lectures can really help too.
karthiene
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was worried I wouldn't find friends that shared the same interests as I do, but the university was really good at matching up my flatmates and I and we get on really well, so well that we're renting a flat together next year!
Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was worried about whether or not i had good flatmates.
Elastoplast
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would I make friends because I am not the party hard kind of person! But I did and have loved every minute at Uni and cannot believe its all coming to an end!
08hussainf
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good roommates
lillith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am worried about whether there will other older mature students in my cohort. It would be difficult to spend 3 years with people who I had little in common with.
pemby
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im not yet at uni but am mainly worried about living in a different town to ma family. Although we have worked out different ways to deal with this in time for me starting uni in September.
Stephanie_12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was worried about everything, as an access student I was starting at 21 rather than 18 or 19, so I was worried about age. I'd also only had a year's work doing an access course after 6 years out of school, so I was worried I was going to look really dumb, it's actually been great though and all my worries were pointless.
mespannerhanz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It all works out fine in the end. I was worried about everything - homesickness, work, missing family, no making any friends, but have overcome all of these, although some took longer than others.
purple and gold
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thought of leaving my parents behind. It will be solved by visiting them on the weekends
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed