The Student Room Group

What were you most worried about before starting uni (and how did it turn out)?

Scroll to see replies

Leaving London really bothered me.

Everything was great, I'd just passed my driving test, got awesome results, had the best friends in the world, and a great part-time job. It took a while to get all of this back at University, yet the only advice I would ever give about this, would be that it's totally worth sticking out. I had my doubts and knew people who dropped out, yet it was so more than worth it in every way. I'm not saying dropping out is a mistake, yet I am saying that persistence pays off.

Original post by shooks
Starting uni is an exciting but nerve-wracking time. Pretty much everyone has some worries ahead of going to uni for the first time, whether it's about being away from home, dealing with the workload, making new friends or something else.

What was your main concern before starting uni, and how did it turn out for you in the end?

This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 1 May to be in with a chance of winning an iPad mini.
Mainly having to fend for myself for the first time having never lived away from home before.
Reply 182
Student fees seemed to be a worrying issue before but now with all the information I have received from the Internet and university staff it doesn't seem like such a worrying issue at the moment.
Reply 183
Fitting in, making new friends and NOT failing. All three worked out fine eventually. Try to strike a balance between school and fun. Study as hard as you can, don't skip classes and always email your lecturer if you have a problem. And don't try to be someone you're not just to fit into a group of your college buddies. If you're not into drinking or partying, find someone who likes the same things as you do. It's not a competition. Good luck to you in your college of choice. Cheers!
I was worried that I wouldn't make friends (common worry, I know). I've never been the most popular person either at school, at college or elsewhere so it's one thing that I was really stressing over. Especially because I stopped at home and went to my local branch of the University of Nottingham.

In actual fact making some friends hasn't been too bad. I speak to and get on well with everyone (out of a cohort of 26). I wouldn't exactly say that I was popular or that I had many 'friends', most I'd class as colleagues or acquaintances. I do car share with a couple of other which I get on really well with thought, which is nice.

I guess if I'd moved away to Uni it might be a different story as I'd perhaps have more opportunity to meet people through clubs, groups, bigger cohorts, accommodation and social events. However, I do have some really good friends outside of Uni that I wouldn't change for the world. No matter where you go you'll always find friends so in hindsight, it's not worth the worrying! :smile:
Reply 185
I'm not at uni yet, starting this October, but I'm fairly worried about doing laundry! I'm not entirely sure how a washing machine works, and I'm very nervous all my clothes will shrink or come out neon green :/
I was worried about failing... I failed, lesson was, make sure your parents are wealthy as I'd be screwed if they weren't.
Reply 187
I'm not looking forward to having to cook for myself! Can't cook to save my life so let's see how it goes!
I was scared my english wouldn't be good enough, but after the first week I got used to it and everything got easier.
Reply 189
Amount of motivation needed for individual study. and how I was going to be lead through the course.

There's plenty of support and nothing to worry about, it's where you realise how much you actually enjoy your course so self-motivation is not a problem
Original post by shooks
Starting uni is an exciting but nerve-wracking time. Pretty much everyone has some worries ahead of going to uni for the first time, whether it's about being away from home, dealing with the workload, making new friends or something else.

What was your main concern before starting uni, and how did it turn out for you in the end?

I was most worried about the work load, whether I could keep up with it all! In final year it is hard work and I have a schedule to keep to but I am managing! (Just about)

:smile:
Reply 191
I'm feeling scared about making new friends as I'm quite a shy person.
Was worried about making friends. I'm in my 4th year now and I still don't have any, stopped caring really :smile:
Reply 193
Cooking food.

Turned out great, put stuff in oven for 20 minutes and i'm done.
Whether I would get on with my flatmates. I do, so everything is coool :smile:
I was worried about finding friends and did worry about this for most of first term. I soon realised though that there was no point in worrying, uni is such a big place that you will always find people that share common interests and I now have a great group of friends.
Struggling on my course... i guess ill find out come September!
Reply 197
Lecture structures
I'm worried about making/finding friends as well as actually being able to pay for all the expenses. l:
Reply 199
I was worried about not liking the city where my uni was and not making friends, and it happened to be true, so after a year I changed for a uni in a city closer to home and I made new friends and get to see my hometown friends every weekends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending