Zero hour contract research

Watch this thread
lozzy1992
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I would like peoples opinion on zero hour contracts. This is for my final year dissertation so all help would be greatly appreciated.

For those who have not directly been on a zero hour contract but have an opinion about the subject I am also interested in hearing what you think.

For anyone that is on a zero hour contract would you say you know your employee rights? Do you get any benefits with your zero hour contract such as annual leave or sick pay? Do you think you are fairly paid in contrast to people on other contracts? Have you had any difficulty with any financial issues from being on a zero hour contract such as obtaining a mortgage or credit?

What do you think the government should do regarding zero hour contracts?
• Do nothing
• Tighter monitoring
• Ban zero hour contracts altogether

If possible please state your age and where abouts you come from, this information will be anonymous in the report.
Thanks in advance
moggington
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lozzy1992)
I would like peoples opinion on zero hour contracts. This is for my final year dissertation so all help would be greatly appreciated.

For those who have not directly been on a zero hour contract but have an opinion about the subject I am also interested in hearing what you think.

For anyone that is on a zero hour contract would you say you know your employee rights? Do you get any benefits with your zero hour contract such as annual leave or sick pay? Do you think you are fairly paid in contrast to people on other contracts? Have you had any difficulty with any financial issues from being on a zero hour contract such as obtaining a mortgage or credit?

What do you think the government should do regarding zero hour contracts?
• Do nothing
• Tighter monitoring
• Ban zero hour contracts altogether

If possible please state your age and where abouts you come from, this information will be anonymous in the report.
Thanks in advance

I had an interview for a zero hours contract role at a major entertainment/leisure company and it immediately put me off the idea of applying for such a role again, although, if I desperately needed the money (when at uni, for example) I'd perhaps reconsider my decision.

The idea of only having to work during peak times or when roles needed filling seemed ideal, but realistically, with tons of other people in exactly the same situation, the likelihood of getting a decent amount of hours seemed quite unlikely, especially as, being an A Level student and living 40/45 minutes away from the job itself, I'd only have been able to commit to evenings and weekends, with the occasional afternoon here or there.

This was the first job I'd applied for, bar internships and work experience, so I didn't entirely understand the meaning of a zero hours contract and the rights that employees are entitled to, nor anything on annual leave or sick pay, although they did mention we'd get paid holiday dependent on how many hours we'd committed to.

I'd probably take the view of tighter monitoring, with much stricter regulation and more information for the employees themselves as, like I said in the paragraph above, I felt pretty much clueless about what the job entailed and what I was entitled to. Issues such as exclusivity and only being able to work for one company at a time should also be resolved too.
MissLightyear
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Been on a zero hours contact for 18 Months and I have to say its not ideal. Without guaranteed income I couldn't get my own place (rent) without a guarantor. Some weeks I was getting 50-60 hours, others I was only getting 25-30. I could usually get time off when I wanted it, but was expected to go in for a shift at the drop of a hat.
We got Holiday pay every 3 months which was just an average of the hours worked over the Last 3 months, which meant you got it even when you didn't take holidays.
A lot of the people I work with were at uni/college etc so they appreciated the flexibility. The managers took our availability so any shifts outside of that could just be turned down. You were understandably expected to work any within your availability unless you've given 2weeks notice.
We had information up in the staffroom so I knew my rights, and the only financial difference is not getting extra for overtime but some people don't get that on a normal contract anyway.

I'm now on a fulltime contract at the same place so have seen it from a management point of view and can see so many benefits from them. If we take less that expected we can cut hours, if we take more we can add hours. They're a lot more commercial and I know if I ran a business I'd use them 100%
lozzy1992
Rep:
Thank you for your replies these are really helpful. MissLightyear this is interesting seeing it from different perspectives, may I ask what industry you work in?
xDave-
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Thank you for your replies these are really helpful. MissLightyear this is interesting seeing it from different perspectives, may I ask what industry you work in?
(Original post by MissLightyear)
x
You should quote someone if you want them to see your message!

ps. I'd do your survey but I know nothing about the subject, I'm afraid!
username851717
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago

Worked on a zero hours contract in retail for 5 odd months whilst also a student. I essentially had to sit about each day in the hope they might ring me up for a four hour shift which barely paid for the transport there. I had no employment rights what so ever- no staff discount, no sick/holiday leave etc. The company stopped giving me hours and essentially ignored me when I contacted them (via phone and person), I remember although in theory I was employed by them they hadn't given me any hours in over two months. I eventually received a notice terminating my employment through the post without so much as a phonecall. Perhaps the only decent thing was that we got paid the same as other employees (albeit a rubbish wage anyway). I later went on to have a fixed hours role with the same people and the difference was remarkable.

I'm in favour of banning them as its essentially a use and abuse scam by companies.
MissLightyear
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Retail
lozzy1992
Rep:
(Original post by xDave-)
You should quote someone if you want them to see your message!

ps. I'd do your survey but I know nothing about the subject, I'm afraid!
Thanks Dave, sorry I am new to this!
Le Nombre
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Age 23:

I've worked on one for retail and leisure as a student and it was kind if useful. However, I also work as an employment paralegal and frankly they are used to help clients exploit people a lot of the time, they do need to be more tightly regulated I think.
Crumpet1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
OP, before you write your dissertation make sure you read this guide:
https://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/...nding-law.aspx

and this research report:
http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/r...h-reality.aspx
lozzy1992
Rep:
(Original post by Crumpet1)
OP, before you write your dissertation make sure you read this guide:
https://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/...nding-law.aspx

and this research report:
http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/r...h-reality.aspx
Thankyou, luckily these are already in my lit review!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed