The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care (Sept 14 Entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by miah1999
Hi, i am deciding whether to do a levels or level 3 extended diploma as i am not sure if i can get into a midwifery course for uni just with the level 3 extended diploma ,is that possible? and what work experience would you do to put in your personal statement to be a midwife?

Hello

Yes you can get onto the midwifery course with the extended diploma. With placements, I suppose you can try and get one in a hospital working alongside the midwifes:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miah1999
Hi, i am deciding whether to do a levels or level 3 extended diploma as i am not sure if i can get into a midwifery course for uni just with the level 3 extended diploma ,is that possible? and what work experience would you do to put in your personal statement to be a midwife?

Hi,

I would just like to warn you that whether you opt for A-Levels or the Extended Diploma that midwifery is an extremely difficult field to get into, as it has become a more competitive and challenging degree topic in the recent years. Without even getting on to the topic of A-Levels and BTEC's, most universities now expect applicants to have achieved a Grade B or above in GCSE Maths, English and Science; differing from most courses as they ask for only a C or above in Maths and English. Acceptance rates for this degree are low and it is hard to pass through just the applicant stage; many girls on my Extended Dip course and some I know who did A-Level's did not even get any invitations to interview, despite their predicted grades and work experience. Even at interview, you are expected to perform to a distinct level when given an English and Math test.

Despite this, do not let it put you off of being a midwife! It is still possible. Most people tend to take a slightly "longer" route as such; by this, I mean they tend to go ahead and do their Adult Nursing degree, these tend to be easier to get into, and then following the completion of their nursing they then go on to do a one year top-up in Midwifery, leaving them dual qualified as both a nurse and a midwife which is a fantastic thing when it comes to building a career and it is always something you have should you decide to go into nursing after a few years or vice versa.

In terms of work experience, of course there is always a local hospital, but have you considered looking into baby clinics and assisting the midwives there? Additionally, how about baby groups at Children's Centres? It's a good idea to look beyond a hospital environment sometimes as these can offer different experiences. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
Hi all,

I have officially finished my Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in H&SC with grade D* D* D*. If anyone needs any help with anything next year I am happy to give you a hand! :smile:

Hey, I start this course in a few weeks after enrolling in college today. I'm aiming for the same kinda grades you achieved. What can I expect with this course, what stationary do I bring, and how much work do I have to put in to get similar grades? Thanks in advance! :biggrin:
Original post by lauzy00
Hey, I start this course in a few weeks after enrolling in college today. I'm aiming for the same kinda grades you achieved. What can I expect with this course, what stationary do I bring, and how much work do I have to put in to get similar grades? Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

Hey,

Good for you for choosing the BTEC course! I have sent you a private message with plenty of details, was a little too long to be posted on this forum, haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest