The Student Room Group

What's the point in charity trips to 3rd world countries

Why do people go to poor countries on the basis of charity to help build things such as houses and wells in corporate/student/charity schemes?

To me, it seems like a massive waste of money. The cost of their flights to these countries is usually quite substantial (as they're far away) and regardless of if they pay themselves or get paid for, that money could always be spent more efficiently.

For example, a group of people in a poor African country as probably equally as trained and qualified to build a well, so why do they need you there? Give them the tools and they're good to go. If you don't go and donate the money that would have been spent on flights, they'll have more donation money too.

The only exception that comes to mind is if you teach, as it may be difficult to find people willing to teach for free is those Areas. (Even thing, charity schemes through closer nations like SA seems more logical)
Publicity?
Reply 2
For the experience; to learn about other cultures and what life is like on the other side.

Yes, you can do this by watching the many documentaries shown on TV but its not the same.
Reply 3
Original post by cdude
For the experience; to learn about other cultures and what life is like on the other side.

Yes, you can do this by watching the many documentaries shown on TV but its not the same.

Yes, but doing this 'in the name of charity' seems like bull**** to me. If they truly had the best intentions of the poor in mind, they would want maximum utilisation of any money put to the cause....and these 'trips' are not the best way to spend that money.

If they are doing it for personal reasons, they should say so. However, the people i met say they really wanted to help out etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
how about people who don't have enough money to donate and feel they can make a better contribution otherwise, i.e. putting the time in and doing physical work.
Reply 5
Also, when you make a donation, You can never really be 100% whether it has gone into someone else's pocket or whether it has made a difference to someone who was in need

whereas when you go do something yourself, You can be more sure of how you are making a difference?
Reply 6
Original post by uxa595
Yes, but doing this 'in the name of charity' seems like bull**** to me. If they truly had the best intentions of the poor in mind, they would want maximum utilisation of any money put to the cause....and these 'trips' are not the best way to spend that money.

If they are doing it for personal reasons, they should say so. However, the people i met say they really wanted to help out etc.

You will notice that those going out and doing charity work overseas are likely to be donating their own money aswell throughout their lives. Why not go out and experience some of this themselves and see the impact they are having.
Reply 7
Original post by a.gafor
how about people who don't have enough money to donate and feel they can make a better contribution otherwise, i.e. putting the time in and doing physical work.

But they still have to get there...which costs quite a bit of £££

Original post by a.gafor
Also, when you make a donation, You can never really be 100% whether it has gone into someone else's pocket or whether it has made a difference to someone who was in need

whereas when you go do something yourself, You can be more sure of how you are making a difference?

Yes, but most charities put out what % gets to it's destination and if i remember correctly, it's like 97% last i checked. you get that % on you cash given a flight is £500 would be a minimum of £16.7k.

Original post by cdude
You will notice that those going out and doing charity work overseas are likely to be donating their own money aswell throughout their lives. Why not go out and experience some of this themselves and see the impact they are having.

That's a fair comment.
It looks good on a CV.
Reply 9
Original post by uxa595
But they still have to get there...which costs quite a bit of £££

Yes, but most charities put out what % gets to it's destination and if i remember correctly, it's like 97% last i checked. you get that % on you cash given a flight is £500 would be a minimum of £16.7k.

That's a fair comment.

lol of course its going to cost money. No matter how you do it. charities have admin costs. then there are costs to hire top-caliber people and pay them enough to keep them motivated so that they stay with the charity and that helps reduce labour turnover costs.

and it's not like you go there for 2 weeks, do some work and get back. In the end, the amount of motivation that a person has and the time they are willing to put in, i.e. 6 months or a year or 2 in some cases, I think it's all worth it. flight costs are very negligible compared to the value of work that gets done:smile:

And surely there have been no charity frauds? if you are always going to live your life on the basis of what's written on a piece of paper then all I can say is it's your life:smile:
I think what the OP is against here, is not so much people who do charity work overseas but hypocrisy. And I tend to agree with that.

If someone wants to go to Africa and build a well to forge personal connections with the area, understand the culture, enjoy a feeling of helping out other people with their spare time and money, then good for them. But clearly there are more efficient ways of spending the time and the cash and why not be upfront about the motivation?

Some people of an activist bent can't imagine the world improving without their personal action. That is daft and whilst I wouldn't bemoan anyone with good motives, there is also a lot of narcissism about it all too.
Reply 11
Narcissism.
For that warm fuzzy feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I'm not a fan of this whole volunteering tourism. You can make just as big an impact by donating money, or perhaps visiting the country for a holiday and putting money into the local economy through hotels, restaurants, local vendors, tourist attractions ect.
Reply 14
Original post by Swanbow
I'm not a fan of this whole volunteering tourism. You can make just as big an impact by donating money, or perhaps visiting the country for a holiday and putting money into the local economy through hotels, restaurants, local vendors, tourist attractions ect.

A lot of these poor countries have corrupt government. It's all good having large tourism and money going into their economy but the government doesn't use this to help the poor, they just keep it for themselves.
Reply 15
Original post by cdude
A lot of these poor countries have corrupt government. It's all good having large tourism and money going into their economy but the government doesn't use this to help the poor, they just keep it for themselves.

That is why staying in local guest houses and buying produce from local people can help the money trickle down to poor.

But even if your money goes to the government at least your presence in their hotels and attractions means that some local people are finding employment through it.
Reply 16
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I think what the OP is against here, is not so much people who do charity work overseas but hypocrisy. And I tend to agree with that.

If someone wants to go to Africa and build a well to forge personal connections with the area, understand the culture, enjoy a feeling of helping out other people with their spare time and money, then good for them. But clearly there are more efficient ways of spending the time and the cash and why not be upfront about the motivation?

Some people of an activist bent can't imagine the world improving without their personal action. That is daft and whilst I wouldn't bemoan anyone with good motives, there is also a lot of narcissism about it all too.

Yep.
I wouldn't hold it against anyone saying they went generally for personal reasons as i equally don't care if someone has goes on an expensive holiday.
It's just the majority of people who go on these trips say it was for selfless reasons when clearly its selfish reasons (personal gratification, CV, something else?). It would be selfless if they had the needs of the poor at heart, in which case their trip is misguided.
Unless you're donating vast amounts of money and can target causes you like, donating to a charity and not being involved is most efficient.
Reply 17
To seem like a charitable person

Quick Reply

Latest