What's your favourite music video? Watch

purple_panther
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Mine has to be:

Even though I'm not a fan of Aguilera I think this music video is a master piece, it makes me cry every time I watch it.
Leftee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Skrillex - First of the Year (Equinox)

Don't h8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flauta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
purple_panther
Rep:
?
You guys are so creepy
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

The perfect video touches upon religion, black rights, women rights, empowerment, history, and the role of music.

As a popular culture item, it opened doors for darker mainstream videos and symbolism, as well as continuing the trend for theatrical videos with actual plots.

As a product, it sold very well, combining controversies with sellable products. The whole thing is geneous.

---

The song itself was a lot more interesting than it seemed on the surface. The music contradicts - elements from politically polarising genres: gospel and rock are apparent. The lyrics are both 'basic' and controversial. It's a love song, it's a song with sexual elements, but it's more than that. 'When you call my name, it's like a little prayer' - What's Madonna's name? Madonna. What does Madonna mean in catholicism? Hail Mary. Who actually is the prayer here? Who has the power here?

And of course the videos before and after were gold. 'Open Your Heart', 'Express Yourself', and 'Vogue' were all ground-breaking.
interstitial
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by purple_panther)
You guys are so creepy
Electronic music videos are always creepy

Posted from TSR Mobile
purple_panther
Rep:
?
(Original post by clh_hilary)

The perfect video touches upon religion, black rights, women rights, empowerment, history, and the role of music.

As a popular culture item, it opened doors for darker mainstream videos and symbolism, as well as continuing the trend for theatrical videos with actual plots.

As a product, it sold very well, combining controversies with sellable products. The whole thing is geneous.

---

The song itself was a lot more interesting than it seemed on the surface. The music contradicts - elements from politically polarising genres: gospel and rock are apparent. The lyrics are both 'basic' and controversial. It's a love song, it's a song with sexual elements, but it's more than that. 'When you call my name, it's like a little prayer' - What's Madonna's name? Madonna. What does Madonna mean in catholicism? Hail Mary. Who actually is the prayer here? Who has the power here?

And of course the videos before and after were gold. 'Open Your Heart', 'Express Yourself', and 'Vogue' were all ground-breaking.
Controversial, but I guess that's why it became so popular. Got the song stuck in my head now
Vixen47
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Or

:ahee:
Robbie242
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Controversial, but I guess that's why it became so popular. Got the song stuck in my head now
And I'm 100% serious. I wrote my paper on Madonna in a course on American pop culture and 'Like A Prayer' was one of the major foci of the whole piece.

Most people would just see it as a catchy song with a refreshing production that sold through controversies, which is true. But it's just so much deeper than that.

It is videos like this which showed the bravery and brain of Madonna's (assuming she had a huge part in it). But of course there were obvious flaws to that. For example, it was quite awkward for her to try to connect the situation of black people with women, although I see where she was coming from - females who were liberated earlier helped out the next minority, and through it empowering BOTH the woman and the black person. And then it was too idealistic and simplistic. But then it's a short video so can't be too harsh.

The burning crosses was gold - people thought she was being provocative against christianity by burning the crosses, but little did they know they were practices of the very christian KKK group back in the days (which of course was why it involved a black guy). A perfect use of symbol to sell the video both on the controversial front and the historically reflective front.

Then of course the contrast in church and outside of the church (which interestingly was full of black people).
Tom_green_day
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Like you even need to ask

purple_panther
Rep:
?

Aww that was so adorable. I love Taylor Swift's music videos although I've never seen this one.
purple_panther
Rep:
?
Aww that was so adorable. I love Taylor Swift's music videos although I've never seen this one.
(Original post by Robbie242)

Forgot to quote
purple_panther
Rep:
?
(Original post by clh_hilary)
And I'm 100% serious. I wrote my paper on Madonna in a course on American pop culture and 'Like A Prayer' was one of the major foci of the whole piece.

Most people would just see it as a catchy song with a refreshing production that sold through controversies, which is true. But it's just so much deeper than that.

It is videos like this which showed the bravery and brain of Madonna's (assuming she had a huge part in it). But of course there were obvious flaws to that. For example, it was quite awkward for her to try to connect the situation of black people with women, although I see where she was coming from - females who were liberated earlier helped out the next minority, and through it empowering BOTH the woman and the black person. And then it was too idealistic and simplistic. But then it's a short video so can't be too harsh.

The burning crosses was gold - people thought she was being provocative against christianity by burning the crosses, but little did they know they were practices of the very christian KKK group back in the days (which of course was why it involved a black guy). A perfect use of symbol to sell the video both on the controversial front and the historically reflective front.

Then of course the contrast in church and outside of the church (which interestingly was full of black people).
Wow you've done your research. I never realised it was so meaningful
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Forgot to quote
It is indeed . Well now you have I also love her music videos, mostly the happy ones though :lol:
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow you've done your research. I never realised it was so meaningful
Well I watched it over and over again and read lots of articles about the deeper layers of the video.

Most would think she just made it to shock (and sell records), I think she did try to make it to change the world.

When you see it you already need to think about the context. It was 1989, not 2014. The Roman catholic church was still a big deal and her wearing little clothing in itself would already be a very boundary-pushing act, letting alone implying that she was Jesus or having a black saint locked in a church.

I also think her 'interaction' with the burning crosses was meaningful. She ran away from something, tripped only to see burning crosses. What was she running from? Her catholic background? Female suppression? A better side of christianity?

Then she stood in front of the burning crosses and sing - did it mean anything? Did it symbolise a vulnerable but strong female standing against the evil forces of christianity? Did it mean it was 'behind' her (to get her or it's been put behind or it could pop back out any time?)?

I don't doubt I may have over thought it but there certainly were lots of meaning to it.
Jaegon Targaryen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Whenever someone asks a question like this my mind always goes blank , I have too many favorite videos !

This would have to be one of those videos that bring back many feels and memories though

Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
purple_panther
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
Whenever someone asks a question like this my mind always goes blank , I have too many favorite videos !

This would have to be one of those videos that bring back many feels and memories though
I love this song! I agree it brings back really nice memories for me as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (148)
18.59%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.8%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.32%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.67%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed