Can you go through life being honest, open, direct and speaking your mind?

Watch
username974975
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm a young man-22- working in London. I've been told by friends for years that I am:

Kind
Good-hearted
Gentle
A genuine person
A cool guy
You say what you mean
Loyal

However, working in medicine, I have been told that I speak my mind and I am too honest and too direct by some of my classmates. I've been warned by my mother that I'll be exploited and disrespected by peers and by GFs. Of course, it has turned out to be the case. My father called me soft for years.....

Should I change? Should I close off and put myself first and forget the needs of others?Should I stand on the shoulders of my peers so I can climb the ladder to success?
caravaggio2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What people mean when they say that they tell it like it is and speak their mind, not worrying about others feelings,
is that they talk like that to people who dont matter.
People below them etc.
If they were like that with their superiors and managers they wouldnt last five minutes.
username974975
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
What people mean when they say that they tell it like it is and speak their mind, not worrying about others feelings,
is that they talk like that to people who dont matter.
People below them etc.
If they were like that with their superiors and managers they wouldnt last five minutes.
Yeah you're right but I'm a good little boy and I know that you should never bite the hand that feeds you.I'm not that dumb.I bend my knee like the good slave I am to those with more influence.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A person is like a tapestry. On one side you have the nice patterns, and on the other side you have all the messy threads crisscrossing each other all over the place. To be perfectly genuine you would have to have the nice pattern on both sides, but that just isn't possible. The nice pattern on the front can't exist without the messy part on the back.

So if you believe that you're totally genuine, that your front is no different from your back, then you're deceiving yourself, albeit unknowingly.

And people instinctively know this. If you go around telling women you're perfectly genuine then they're think that you're being duplicitous, or even worse they'll take you for a fool for not realizing that one cannot be perfectly genuine.

Trying to be good, to be loyal, and to stand by your principles are all fantastic things, but you must realize this truth first.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do think that, as a budding doctor, bedside manner is gonna be important :yes:
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be taken advantage of a lot, but if you are the kind of person who doesn't mind too much about that you should be fine.
Classical Liberal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's important that if you are nice, open and honest, that when somebody exploits these virtuous behaviours, that you make sure you screw them over. This way people will learn to fear you, and at the same time like and respect you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.18%
Excited but a bit nervous (126)
45.82%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.73%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.27%

Watched Threads