The Student Room Group

NHS Healthcare Assistant Literacy and Numeracy Test

Hi,
Next week I've got a literacy and numeracy test for the post of Healthcare Assistant. Has anyone here taken it before? Is it hard? What sort of questions do they ask?
These may seem like silly questions but I'm quite nervous about it. I'm not entirely sure how far to go with revision.

Scroll to see replies

how did the test go, i also have a test next week? what was it like?
It was alright. I passed and have an interview coming up in the next few weeks.
It started really easily with questions like '6 people are working, 3 don't turn up so how many are left?'
It got gradually harder and related maths with the medication, but they never got very hard. Questions like a child is allowed so many mg of paracetamol. You must give it 4 times a day, how much must be given in each dose. Something like that.

The literacy ones were even easier. Some were just correctly punctuating a sentence, others were just reading adverts and deciding which was best for the job.

You'll be fine. Don't worry!
Good Luck!
Hi kirsty if you don't mind me asking have you started work yet? Which nhs? I'm interested in becoming an hca. I would like to hear first hand experience about shift patterns and first week. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessTilly
Hi kirsty if you don't mind me asking have you started work yet? Which nhs? I'm interested in becoming an hca. I would like to hear first hand experience about shift patterns and first week. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for the late reply.
Unfortunately, I haven't started the work yet. The first interview I was meant to attend I missed. My car broke down on the way, so they booked me a second interview that I had last Saturday.
I had a phone call yesterday telling me I'd got the job, and they'd phone back with more information in a couple of days. So happy!

I'll be working on the bank, so I'll be able to choose what days and shifts I work. I'll be able to fit the work around my college. Sorry, I can't tell you about my experience on the job yet. Hopefully, I'll be starting soon.
Reply 5
Hiya,

I have my literacy & numeracy soon but I wondered how did your interview go and what type of questions were asked? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Beckskiwi
Hiya,

I have my literacy & numeracy soon but I wondered how did your interview go and what type of questions were asked? Thank you :smile:

To be honest, I can't really remember! It was my very first job interview and as soon as I walked into the room my brain froze! I can only remember a couple.

I was interviewed by two people, one was from recruitment, the other from a ward. I was asked about how I could save the NHS money in my work, I answered by telling them I would only use the resources necessary.
I was asked about what skills I had that would be important in the job, what I thought of the trusts aims and objectives, and what I thought the job involved.

I'm amazed I got the job, as all I did was waffle! He'd worded the questions in a confusing way, so I just talked about what I thought they'd like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by kirsty953
To be honest, I can't really remember! It was my very first job interview and as soon as I walked into the room my brain froze! I can only remember a couple.

I was interviewed by two people, one was from recruitment, the other from a ward. I was asked about how I could save the NHS money in my work, I answered by telling them I would only use the resources necessary.
I was asked about what skills I had that would be important in the job, what I thought of the trusts aims and objectives, and what I thought the job involved.

I'm amazed I got the job, as all I did was waffle! He'd worded the questions in a confusing way, so I just talked about what I thought they'd like.

Hi- thank you for that :smile: can I be cheeky and ask if you remember your answers haha these interviews are mind boggling - I passed my maths and literacy so that's a relief :wink:

thank you
Hi- thank you for that :smile: can I be cheeky and ask if you remember your answers haha these interviews are mind boggling - I passed my maths and literacy so that's a relief :wink:

thank you

Congratulations on passing the literacy and numeracy test. Only the interview to go now!

Well, for saving the NHS money I answered that I wouldn't be wasteful and use only the resources necessary.

For my understanding of the job role, I said that I knew it involved a lot of direct care including washing, feeding, and toileting, but that it was important to consider the patients psychological needs.

I said I was a very patient person, a trait that I knew was important as many of the patients may show very challenging behaviour. I told them I had excellent time-management and organisational skills and enjoyed the challenge of working to deadlines. Also, that I had very good communication skills (which I improved during my WE placements) and was able to work efficiently both alone and as part of a team.

For the question on their values and objectives, I said I was very impressed with how they not only considered their patients physical health, but their emotional health too and I would be more than willing to learn from their well-trained staff.

At some point I also talked about the importance of confidentiality and the patients dignity. I mentioned that dignity could be respected by knocking before entering a patients room and asking permission before moving the patient. Lastly I talked about how letting the patient get involved and give their opinion on how they're cared for helps.

I hope this helps. I spent ages before my interview looking up what sort of questions would be asked and how I could answer. Good Luck!
Reply 9
Congratulations on passing the literacy and numeracy test. Only the interview to go now!

Well, for saving the NHS money I answered that I wouldn't be wasteful and use only the resources necessary.

For my understanding of the job role, I said that I knew it involved a lot of direct care including washing, feeding, and toileting, but that it was important to consider the patients psychological needs.

I said I was a very patient person, a trait that I knew was important as many of the patients may show very challenging behaviour. I told them I had excellent time-management and organisational skills and enjoyed the challenge of working to deadlines. Also, that I had very good communication skills (which I improved during my WE placements) and was able to work efficiently both alone and as part of a team.

For the question on their values and objectives, I said I was very impressed with how they not only considered their patients physical health, but their emotional health too and I would be more than willing to learn from their well-trained staff.

At some point I also talked about the importance of confidentiality and the patients dignity. I mentioned that dignity could be respected by knocking before entering a patients room and asking permission before moving the patient. Lastly I talked about how letting the patient get involved and give their opinion on how they're cared for helps.

I hope this helps. I spent ages before my interview looking up what sort of questions would be asked and how I could answer. Good Luck!

Thank you so so much- I am nervous as It's on the spot haha and although you prepare they get you :smile: but this does help Thank you so much- will update with news haha ; ) fingers crossed-
have you started yet?
Thank you so so much- I am nervous as It's on the spot haha and although you prepare they get you :smile: but this does help Thank you so much- will update with news haha ; ) fingers crossed-
have you started yet?

I'm halfway through my induction week and have 3 days shadowing another HCA on a ward coming up. After that I should be able to properly start work.
I got the job :smile: yay- so now I have to do my training and all that jazz- and how are you finding the work? What wards have you been on? :wink:
I got the job :smile: yay- so now I have to do my training and all that jazz- and how are you finding the work? What wards have you been on? :wink:

Unfortunately, I haven't been on any wards yet. I've got everything sorted and ready for me to start, but until by DBS form comes, I can't start. I sent it off 9 weeks ago now and it's still not here. I was hoping to be working by now. :frown:
How are you doing? Started the training yet?
Unfortunately, I haven't been on any wards yet. I've got everything sorted and ready for me to start, but until by DBS form comes, I can't start. I sent it off 9 weeks ago now and it's still not here. I was hoping to be working by now. :frown:
How are you doing? Started the training yet?

Hiya-

Looks like we are both having trouble As I haven't even got my dbs/crb forms sent off as waiting on bank statement and lady is being awkward But hey Ho so ill start uni before I start that job haha :frown: I'm desperate to start ha 9 weeks is a long time wow :/
Reply 14
Hello ppl! I've got the numeracy and literacy test for Nursing Assistant coming up next week, if I pass that then will be allocated an interview. I feel very nervous about the maths and if I do Pass the interview. Any tips you can give me would be o so wonderful!! Thank you, I really wanna get this job I will be so happy.
Just got an offer for HCA Bank, so looking to pick up as many shifts as possible. I am doing this to get experience in an hospital as well as other voluntary work as part of my application to Med school which i will be applying for next year, but the money aspect does help!. As for the numeracy and literacy test, its not a big deal. I usually prepare for any test I go to but this one was pretty straightforward. For the maths test it was simple adittion, subtraction, multiplication, percentages and basic percentages, level 1 was required, 20 questions, 16 to pass. The literacy test was also simple but level 2 was required.
The interview was very nerve racking as it consisted of 4 panels but the questions were ok and once the ball was rolling, I was at ease and the answers just flowed. There was one question about fluid charts which I said I was unsure of and they seemed fine. Needless to say the next day I was offered the job

has anyone here worked as a bank hca, whats it like? many shifts avaliable?
Reply 16
Hi,
Next week I've got a literacy and numeracy test for the post of Healthcare Assistant. Has anyone here taken it before? Is it hard? What sort of questions do they ask?
These may seem like silly questions but I'm quite nervous about it. I'm not entirely sure how far to go with revision.

hi! kirsty, did u get any information or idea regarding 'Literacy & Numeracy' test... since im also having test on coming week so if you get any information please do share us..... best of luck....
Original post by woser
hi! kirsty, did u get any information or idea regarding 'Literacy & Numeracy' test... since im also having test on coming week so if you get any information please do share us..... best of luck....

Sorry for the very late replies, been struggling to get on lately. Have you done your test yet? Mine wasn't very difficult at all. It started off with just very easy questions like 5-3. Towards the end of the test the maths got a little more difficult as some drug calculations were asked. Not entirely sure why they asked me about them as the HCAs don't do the drug rounds.
The English part was easy enough. Questions were on spelling, punctuation, and reading.
As long as you have grade C and above in English and Maths you shouldn't have any problem. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you've already done it, how did it go? When's your interview?
Original post by hulk_smash!

has anyone here worked as a bank hca, whats it like? many shifts avaliable?

Well, I've finally managed to do a few shifts. It's a lot to remember to begin with but the job is not that difficult. I chose to work on the bank and am glad I did. It gives me a lot more freedom and let's you choose where you want to work, so you can gain experience in all areas.
So far I've only worked on a cancer/haematology ward. The patients were very patient and encouraging on my first shift. Whilst I was busy throughout the shift, it was really rewarding and I left feeling happy.
A patient asked me to sit and read her newspaper with her, I was thanked by relatives, one patient asked me if I could come back to see her the next day.
There's a lot of paperwork to do: Fluid balance charts, hourly checks, observations, food intake charts. They're hard to get to grips with to start off, but, with everything, the more you do the better and faster you get.

The other HCA I worked with on my first shift told me she has no trouble getting work. She said that there's very rarely a shortage of shifts, though I suppose that can vary between hospitals.

Have you done your first shift yet? How are you finding it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Kirsty congratulations :-). All your information is so helpful. I'm 36 and going tomorrow for my maths/English assessment having been out of school for so long I was wondering could you give me any tips on types of spellings? :smile: thanks in advance

Quick Reply