NHS Healthcare Assistant Literacy and Numeracy Test Watch

Jersey 777
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi have you been for your interview yet?
username1238344
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Amynesbitt)
Hi Kirsty congratulations :-). All your information is so helpful. I'm 36 and going tomorrow for my maths/English assessment having been out of school for so long I was wondering could you give me any tips on types of spellings? thanks in advance
Hard to remember the exact words they gave, but it really wasn't very difficult.
They were similar to these sorts of questions, if not easier than these:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/Download/Asset/...e-6200234b662d

(Original post by Jersey 777)
Hi have you been for your interview yet?
I've done my interview. I thought it went really badly, but I got the job so it can't have gone too badly. I really panic when it comes to interviews. I was being asked loads of questions but didn't properly answer any of them.

I'd visited the trust's website before the interview, so I told them that I'd read their values and objectives.
After that I just went on and on about how patients should be treated with dignity and respect and how they should have a say in their treatment.
Godofwar_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kirsty953)
Hard to remember the exact words they gave, but it really wasn't very difficult.
They were similar to these sorts of questions, if not easier than these:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/Download/Asset/...e-6200234b662d

I've done my interview. I thought it went really badly, but I got the job so it can't have gone too badly. I really panic when it comes to interviews. I was being asked loads of questions but didn't properly answer any of them.

I'd visited the trust's website before the interview, so I told them that I'd read their values and objectives.
After that I just went on and on about how patients should be treated with dignity and respect and how they should have a say in their treatment.
Hi Kris !

I passed my literacy and numeracy just last Monday (after seeing your response about the test after, I'm positive we had the exact same test) and was wondering how long it will take for them to invite me over for an interview? Also what's the difference between Bank HCA's and Non-bank I've heard that bank is for people that are doing uni or in a gap year that will leave but I want a full time job as I just came out of sixthform and don't want to go down the uni route.
username1238344
Rep:
?
(Original post by Godofwar_)
Hi Kris !

I passed my literacy and numeracy just last Monday (after seeing your response about the test after, I'm positive we had the exact same test) and was wondering how long it will take for them to invite me over for an interview? Also what's the difference between Bank HCA's and Non-bank I've heard that bank is for people that are doing uni or in a gap year that will leave but I want a full time job as I just came out of sixthform and don't want to go down the uni route.
It took them a little while to reply. It was about 2-3 weeks after the test that I was invited to an interview. You may not have to wait that long, though.

Bank HCAs are able to choose what wards they work on, and the days and shifts they work. However, you don't get sick pay or holiday pay. Bank Staff are used to cover the shifts the usual staff can't work through sickness.
The freedom to choose your shifts is why joining the bank is popular for students, as they are able to work their shifts around college/uni and are able to gain experience in many areas of the hospital.
Non-Bank HCAs work on the same ward each shift and their shifts are chosen for them. They do get holiday and sick pay.

This will probably be explained when you go to your interview. They may warn you that working on the bank can mean no guarantee of work, but I've found no trouble finding shifts. I'm getting messages everyday telling me loads of shifts are available.
Godofwar_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It took them a little while to reply. It was about 2-3 weeks after the test that I was invited to an interview. You may not have to wait that long, though.

Bank HCAs are able to choose what wards they work on, and the days and shifts they work. However, you don't get sick pay or holiday pay. Bank Staff are used to cover the shifts the usual staff can't work through sickness.
The freedom to choose your shifts is why joining the bank is popular for students, as they are able to work their shifts around college/uni and are able to gain experience in many areas of the hospital.
Non-Bank HCAs work on the same ward each shift and their shifts are chosen for them. They do get holiday and sick pay.

This will probably be explained when you go to your interview. They may warn you that working on the bank can mean no guarantee of work, but I've found no trouble finding shifts. I'm getting messages everyday telling me loads of shifts are available.
hmm.... do you think I can start off as bank and change to non bank when I've figured out my favourite wards and such as I want to work in a quiet environment where the patient's dont demand a lot from you ...

Also how are you finding it so far is it what you hoped out to be ? Fun? Work mates ? Stress?

Thanks
username1238344
Rep:
?
hmm.... do you think I can start off as bank and change to non bank when I've figured out my favourite wards and such as I want to work in a quiet environment where the patient's dont demand a lot from you ...

Also how are you finding it so far is it what you hoped out to be ? Fun? Work mates ? Stress?

Thanks
It'll probably depend on whether the wards that you enjoy and want to stay on have any available posts, but I suppose you can stay as bank until a vacancy comes.

I wouldn't call it a fun job, but it can be a rewarding one. On my first shift I was really unsure whether I'd manage, but I whilst I got little help from the nurses, the patients were really supportive and having one lady ask me if I could come back again tomorrow was wonderful.
I'm not sure exactly what I expected! I was on a quiet ward to begin with, haematology/cancer it was, where most patients could look after themselves. There's a lot to remember to begin with, and it can take a while to get used to all of the paperwork. I prefer working lates as there's much less work to do then.

The one big problem with working on the Bank is that it can be hard to make work friends. As a bank HCA you are only on the ward to replace a regular HCA so you probably won't know any staff members on the ward at all. On the bank you'll be working on lots of different wards and so it can take a long time to make friends.
samrich
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi can anyone tell me how long the literacy and numeracy tests last please. It says up to 3 hours i thought this was a long time?. Thanks
Godofwar_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samrich)
Hi can anyone tell me how long the literacy and numeracy tests last please. It says up to 3 hours i thought this was a long time?. Thanks
Don't worry you'll be begging for more time when your doing it ... And I think it was 2 hours but it felt like 1 30 mins for me.
Godofwar_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It'll probably depend on whether the wards that you enjoy and want to stay on have any available posts, but I suppose you can stay as bank until a vacancy comes.

I wouldn't call it a fun job, but it can be a rewarding one. On my first shift I was really unsure whether I'd manage, but I whilst I got little help from the nurses, the patients were really supportive and having one lady ask me if I could come back again tomorrow was wonderful.
I'm not sure exactly what I expected! I was on a quiet ward to begin with, haematology/cancer it was, where most patients could look after themselves. There's a lot to remember to begin with, and it can take a while to get used to all of the paperwork. I prefer working lates as there's much less work to do then.

The one big problem with working on the Bank is that it can be hard to make work friends. As a bank HCA you are only on the ward to replace a regular HCA so you probably won't know any staff members on the ward at all. On the bank you'll be working on lots of different wards and so it can take a long time to make friends.
Thanks Kris much appreciated .

Till interview's then ...
username1238344
Rep:
?
Thanks Kris much appreciated .

Till interview's then ...
Good Luck! I hope it all goes well!
Leeann87
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys I am thinking about doing my HCA but worried about the tests. Any tips on the type of spellings they ask
Neenybeen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello All,
I have the numeracy and literacy text followed by a short questionnaire, for a Nursery Nurse role on the Maternity ward.

I'm terrified!!! I've been revising maths tonight, reminding myself how to divide and multiply without a calculator, but I'm getting into quite a stress about it.

And advice welcome!!!
Godofwar_
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lol I know nothing about nursing but if you want that job badly and you are desperate only advice I can give you is prepare to death. Memorize everything and anything ! 😎
ajkfte
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So how would you answer the question Questions like a child is allowed so many mg of paracetamol. You must give it 4 times a day, how much must be given in each dose.
Thanks kirsty
Emilykirby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just got an email through for a HCA and I'm really panicking about the test! It said I would be doing one test and not sure what it will be. I'm rubbish at tests and mess them up!! Will it likely be maths and English?
leona1971
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi so glad to see we are all scared of the maths test... i've filled in my form to go to college but have been told on interview i will have to do a literacy and numeracy test these scare the hell out of me... any help would be great as if i don't pass i don't get into college.
And does anyone know what the pass rate is?
brooke1234
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got offered the hca job then they asked me in two days later for a math and english test the english was a sheet of paper with spellings which u have to identify the right ones and maths was basically 10 questions mainly fractions and multiplying and adding and subtracting
caramel12334
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all I know this might be passed and everything but just encase someone out there is looking for help for the bus royal free interviews and numeracy and literacy test here's the help!
Firstly the test is 45 mins and you have a pass Mark of 17 for English and maths there are 40 questions 20 each the maths involved fractions (1/3 of 21) the 24 hour clock(write 7:15 in 24hr) basic maths(adding subtracting multiply and division) then the literacy was the most easiest thing ever basically read the sentence which is like 1 line long and write down the word that's spelt wrong right way

After that we get sent away and told to come an hour and a bit later to find out if we been successful or not if you have been you come back a good 3 hours later and sit an interview in a big room and it was 1 on 2 they asked basic questions why you want to work what skills you have do you want to work in this hospital or a next do you want to work this department or next then the other woman asks how would you treat a nervous patient or patient being abused and they also ask you about pressure something... Which is basically how you will deal with an immobile patient basically what you would do is order pressure matteress turn then every 1-2 hours check if there any soar etc
brokenarrow2312
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello well done on passing.just wondered when u pass that what happens on your second interview?thanks Corrie
caramel12334
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi thanks, that was literally it only the one interview
x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.8%
Pop (211)
24.74%
Jazz (33)
3.87%
Classical (46)
5.39%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.46%
Electronic (58)
6.8%
Indie (136)
15.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise