It'sIrrelevant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
How would you structure an A-grade essay for a poetry comparison essay? I have to write comparing two poems by two poets which deal with similar themes. Thanks for reading
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Sloppy Jumpers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by It'sIrrelevant)
How would you structure an A-grade essay for a poetry comparison essay? I have to write comparing two poems by two poets which deal with similar themes. Thanks for reading
Hello there It'sIrrelevant,

Have you tried asking your English tutor? Have you come up with any ideas so far?

Sloppy J.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by It'sIrrelevant)
not sure what level you are doing but i was asked a similar question bu another user and i advised the following:

when comparing a poem focus on these main areas:

• language (whether this is individual words and investigating there meaning or whole sentences that show imagery through metaphors, similes etc.)
  • sentence types (complex or simple- this can be hard to see in poems sometimes though)
  • the effect on the reader that any techniques have- talk about emotions, opinions the reader may have as a result of the poem
  • if you can a little context about the poet or the background of the poem is good to include to an introduction of a comparison although it won't be expected if the poems are unseen

as for the structure of your answer, i suggest the following structure:

• introduction, introduce the poems, the themes behind them and any context. make it obvious that you are comparing these by using words such as however, in comparison
  • main body consists of 4 paragraphs (or more depending on how much you are required to write). each paragraph analyses one aspect from one poem. the following paragraph should analyse a similar aspect in the second poem and this paragraph should start with a comparison connective such as in comparison or however to make it clear that you are now comparing the second poem to the first (remember comparing includes saying what is similar and what is different). at the end of the second paragraph do a few sentences summarizing any similarities or differences.
  • do the same for any other aspects of the poems
  • conclusion, summarise all comparisons- don't introduce any new things

hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (96)
61.94%
No (59)
38.06%

Watched Threads