How to control myself from replying too fast to texts?

Watch
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Apparently I reply too quickly to texts (within a few minutes) and it annoys a lot of people. but it's just a bad habit of mine as my phone is usually near to me. I check it regularly and if I see a message I feel the need to reply straight away or I'd forget.

This behaviour makes girls think I'm into them or being desperate but the truth is, I reply to everyone in the same way. So any tips on breaking this bad habit?
NathanW18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see how that is a bad habit. If you replying quickly is annoying to people, they shouldn't message you in the first place. Seems like a strange complaint.
ThatLTUguy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What universe do you live in? Because in my universe people who reply quickly are generally the favorite ones to have conversations with.

There's no such thing as a reply that's too quick.
lostndfnd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always reply quickly and i expect the other people to do so as well.I see nothing wrong in doing it.I hate when people take forever to reply to a simple message
Qymberley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if a girl thinks you're too desperate for sending a quick text... go text someone more intelligent and let her find a guy who texts at the correct times.
UWS
Rep:
?
Well apparently it's being needy and desperate towards girls and that's the message they're getting from me. They have no problem talking to me in person and we can talk for hours so it's not me being a weird person. It's just when it gets to texting/messaging, then that's a different story. Sometimes I reply within 10 seconds and they take hours to reply
Truflais
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NathanW18)
I don't see how that is a bad habit. If you replying quickly is annoying to people, they shouldn't message you in the first place. Seems like a strange complaint.
This. Tbh, if the person is replying then they clearly want to talk so don't worry about texting back too quickly.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is nothing more annoying than people who take their sweet time to reply to my texts. I really don't think you have a bad habit I wish my friends were like you
ilem
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should welcome the opportunity to rid your life of people who believe that not artificially delaying replying to texts makes you 'needy'.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is nothing more annoying than people expecting you to be glued to your phone 24/7. ****ing phones.
Ladyliesel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why change? Why play games with people over silly things? Just text when it's appropriate to you. It's not like they have to respond to you immediately if they don't want to.
purple_panther
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wish people would stop playing stupid games like that. You get a text, you reply to it - like a normal person. What's more annoying is having to wait ages for a reply when the other person has clearly read your text. It's ridiculous, annoying and childish. People need to stop doing that.
elpistolero7
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dude...that's so much better than what I do. I completely zone into work/football/whatever I'm doing and don't look at my phone for hours at a time. Sometimes people think I'm being an ******* and ignoring them .

I think texting/calling back promptly is a good thing.
theateam121
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by purple_panther)
I wish people would stop playing stupid games like that. You get a text, you reply to it - like a normal person. What's more annoying is having to wait ages for a reply when the other person has clearly read your text. It's ridiculous, annoying and childish. People need to stop doing that.
This. I think the mentality of 'if they take a while, I should take a while' is crazy! I'm at work all day and sometimes stay over so don't have a lot of time throughout the day to message back, so just because I missed my break and haven't seen my phone for seven hours since lunch doesn't mean you have to wait seven hours to reply back to me!

And OP, I'd love a guy who responds as soon as he can without worry so don't think it's a problem! Maybe you're talking up the wrong kinda girls.
andrew2209
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I always think the perfect balance is when you text within the same amount of time as each other. Everyone's happy then.
UWS
Rep:
?
(Original post by theateam121)
This. I think the mentality of 'if they take a while, I should take a while' is crazy! I'm at work all day and sometimes stay over so don't have a lot of time throughout the day to message back, so just because I missed my break and haven't seen my phone for seven hours since lunch doesn't mean you have to wait seven hours to reply back to me!

And OP, I'd love a guy who responds as soon as he can without worry so don't think it's a problem! Maybe you're talking up the wrong kinda girls.
Maybe the girls I talk to aren't much of a texter as I get on very well with them at uni. But I had this feeling that they had a point... Responding almost instantly does seem a bit needy towards girls but I don't know lol... they know I'm not into them.

I guess it's something I shouldn't worry about then
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If they don't want a response straight away, tell them to text you later on.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ThatLTUguy)
What universe do you live in? Because in my universe people who reply quickly are generally the favorite ones to have conversations with.

There's no such thing as a reply that's too quick.
I agree because they're more attentive.

I'm certain the other people don't care and/or are playing it cool/hard to get which is irritating and pretentious.
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
Apparently I reply too quickly to texts (within a few minutes) and it annoys a lot of people. but it's just a bad habit of mine as my phone is usually near to me. I check it regularly and if I see a message I feel the need to reply straight away or I'd forget.

This behaviour makes girls think I'm into them or being desperate but the truth is, I reply to everyone in the same way. So any tips on breaking this bad habit?
I don't think it's a bad habit... I find it odd people would complain about that. :p:

Most people have their phones with them all the time, so it's completely understandable to reply quickly.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be honest, I fail to see why it would be a problem! If they've text you, surely a fast reply would be a good thing?? People never cease to amaze me! Text back when you want, then they can reply when THEY want.. sorted!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads