The Student Room Group

Alternative Catalyst

I'm doing my chemistry A2 salters b individual investigation. The topic I've chosen is the Harcourt-essen reaction.

The lab cannot get hold of any ammonium molybdate (VI) catalyse the reaction between Hydrogen peroxide and Potassium Iodide. Does anyone know a suitable alternative?
Original post by PaisleyD
I'm doing my chemistry A2 salters b individual investigation. The topic I've chosen is the Harcourt-essen reaction.

The lab cannot get hold of any ammonium molybdate (VI) catalyse the reaction between Hydrogen peroxide and Potassium Iodide. Does anyone know a suitable alternative?

Do you just mean the decomposition reaction of peroxide to O2 and water? If so MnO2 does the trick.... It actually does the trick very violently. I sorta formed a geyser by adding a bit too much powdered MnO2 to hydrogen peroxide in a RBF.
Reply 2
Original post by JMaydom
Do you just mean the decomposition reaction of peroxide to O2 and water? If so MnO2 does the trick.... It actually does the trick very violently. I sorta formed a geyser by adding a bit too much powdered MnO2 to hydrogen peroxide in a RBF.

This is the reaction

H2O2(aq)+ 2I-(aq) + 2H+(aq) I2(aq) + 2H2O(aq)

I think the MnO2 should work

The Iodide ions come from potassium iodide
(edited 10 years ago)
This is the reaction

H2O2(aq)+ 2I-(aq) + 2H+(aq) I2(aq) + 2H2O(aq)

I think the MnO2 should work

The Iodide ions come from potassium iodide

Wow I din't realise the I- came from the KI!!!! :P

TBH I don't actually know the reaction mechanisms for either reaction (and no i don't mean just the equation I mean proper stuff....) so I couldn't answer as to if it would work for this reaction. I have only come across MnO2 in my proper studies once and it did some fancy radical reaction that I can;t really remember about.
Reply 4
Original post by JMaydom
Wow I din't realise the I- came from the KI!!!! :P

TBH I don't actually know the reaction mechanisms for either reaction (and no i don't mean just the equation I mean proper stuff....) so I couldn't answer as to if it would work for this reaction. I have only come across MnO2 in my proper studies once and it did some fancy radical reaction that I can;t really remember about.

Ok thank, I'll check it with my teacher next week.
Ok thank, I'll check it with my teacher next week.

I doubt they'll know...... Least not off the top of their head

Quick Reply

Latest