The Student Room Group

'Lads holiday' vs interrailing

Help!
4 friends and I are a bit divided over whether go interrailling or on 'lads holiday' this summer after our A levels.

3 out of 5 us are pretty partyish people, but we've never been to a lads holiday destination, whereas some of us the other people in the group are less into that kinda thing.

Im im good with both ideas, but I do like the idea of somewhere warm with beache, and plenty of ladies :wink:

what do people think? What do you think would be better? Has anyone done both?
Reply 1
I would suggest interaling. You can still drink loads, learn a lot more, party hard, learn new culture, experience travel.

I think you will find that you will be doing enough partying and drinking at university anyway and after a few days you'll feel like **** on lads holiday.

Go for the interaling. Staying in a hostel dorm room in europe and meeting foreign travellers, going partying with them and running around a foreign city is much more fun than going to a place full of british people with bars and clubs and nothing else to do and staying in one place.
Reply 2
Original post by flyin
I would suggest interaling. You can still drink loads, learn a lot more, party hard, learn new culture, experience travel.

I think you will find that you will be doing enough partying and drinking at university anyway and after a few days you'll feel like **** on lads holiday.

Go for the interaling. Staying in a hostel dorm room in europe and meeting foreign travellers, going partying with them and running around a foreign city is much more fun than going to a place full of british people with bars and clubs and nothing else to do and staying in one place.

Have you ever been on a lads holiday???
Reply 3
Original post by Blobba
Have you ever been on a lads holiday???

Yes I've done both and spoken to people who have done both and they agree with me. Lads holiday was nice for the first 2/3 days but then it just got repetitive. Interaling for 2-4 weeks is so much more fun.
Reply 4
Original post by flyin
Yes I've done both and spoken to people who have done both and they agree with me. Lads holiday was nice for the first 2/3 days but then it just got repetitive. Interaling for 2-4 weeks is so much more fun.

How did you find cost compared of the two? I'm guessing the lads holiday worked out cheaper. Plus i suppose interrailing is fun but don't European countries get pretty repetitive after a while?
Original post by GreenNinja
How did you find cost compared of the two? I'm guessing the lads holiday worked out cheaper. Plus i suppose interrailing is fun but don't European countries get pretty repetitive after a while?

Lots of countries more repetitive than one town..? You seem set on the lads' holiday. I'd wager a month interrailing will stick in the memory for much longer than crappy clubs filled with dull English people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both are great to do if you're young. I would probably choose interrailing for the reasons pointed out - you get to walk around cities and at least attempt to soak in a bit of local culture.

Big pro that a beach holiday has over interrailing is the lack of self-imposed obligation to do much more than sit on a beach and drink, meaning it's that little bit more relaxing. Interrailing is very, very draining even when you're doing nothing.
Interrailing by a mile
Reply 8
Original post by William Turtle
Lots of countries more repetitive than one town..? You seem set on the lads' holiday. I'd wager a month interrailing will stick in the memory for much longer than crappy clubs filled with dull English people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was yes, but I'm open to the idea of interrailing. What I meant was, just want to visit unique towns and not towns that are samey-samey if you get what I'm saying, but I've been doing some more research and it seems like there are some good places to do with interrailing. Dull English people aren't that bad :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by rockrunride
Both are great to do if you're young. I would probably choose interrailing for the reasons pointed out - you get to walk around cities and at least attempt to soak in a bit of local culture.

Big pro that a beach holiday has over interrailing is the lack of self-imposed obligation to do much more than sit on a beach and drink, meaning it's that little bit more relaxing. Interrailing is very, very draining even when you're doing nothing.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards interrialing now, because it seems like a bit more of an 'adventure' but why is interrialing draining when you're doing nothing?
I was yes, but I'm open to the idea of interrailing. What I meant was, just want to visit unique towns and not towns that are samey-samey if you get what I'm saying, but I've been doing some more research and it seems like there are some good places to do with interrailing. Dull English people aren't that bad :wink:

Well, Europe is a pretty big place.. :wink: Plenty of crazy stuff to see. I guess it depends on the kind of people you like. You could have a party holiday doing both, but a lads' holiday is going to be more.. well.. laddish (in a douchey kind of way). I imagine that when interrailing you'd meet more 'free spirits'. Definitely more my thing, but that's just a personal preference.
Reply 11
Original post by William Turtle
Well, Europe is a pretty big place.. :wink: Plenty of crazy stuff to see. I guess it depends on the kind of people you like. You could have a party holiday doing both, but a lads' holiday is going to be more.. well.. laddish (in a douchey kind of way). I imagine that when interrailing you'd meet more 'free spirits'. Definitely more my thing, but that's just a personal preference.

The types of people don't bother me, I'll hang out with anyone as long as they're not too 'douchey' :wink: but we like the fact with interrailing we can combine it with other thing; you can go clubbing, find a place with a beach, hike and explore and camp which is stuff me and my mates like to do!
Yeah, I'm leaning towards interrialing now, because it seems like a bit more of an 'adventure' but why is interrialing draining when you're doing nothing?

I think it's three fold really: firstly, you're staying in a hostel, in which beds are likely to be uncomfortable and you're likely to be woken up in the night by people snoring, coming in drunk and/or leaving for early buses, trains or flights.

Secondly, if you put yourself into a beach holiday situation and you haven't hired a car, you can't oblige yourself to be out all day seeing sights. I was in Lisbon at the end of last week and even though I had landed at 8am after having pulled an all nighter to catch the flight, I forced myself to be out most of the day and ended up in bed at half 10 because I was so shattered. I had been to Lisbon before but still I wanted to do stuff!

Thirdly, if you travel at night, unless you get a couchette or sleeper cabin in a train you're unlikely to sleep that well. As well as the Lisbon trip, I went to Kraków a couple of years back, got the night train from Prague and ended up in a very bad mood for the whole day.

Rest days can combat the tiredness though. If you have one a week at least, they'll be priceless.

Another plus of interrailing: by no means a hard and fast rule, but you're more likely to meet more interesting people that might for example live as an expat elsewhere in Europe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by rockrunride
I think it's three fold really: firstly, you're staying in a hostel, in which beds are likely to be uncomfortable and you're likely to be woken up in the night by people snoring, coming in drunk and/or leaving for early buses, trains or flights.

Secondly, if you put yourself into a beach holiday situation and you haven't hired a car, you can't oblige yourself to be out all day seeing sights. I was in Lisbon at the end of last week and even though I had landed at 8am after having pulled an all nighter to catch the flight, I forced myself to be out most of the day and ended up in bed at half 10 because I was so shattered. I had been to Lisbon before but still I wanted to do stuff!

Thirdly, if you travel at night, unless you get a couchette or sleeper cabin in a train you're unlikely to sleep that well. As well as the Lisbon trip, I went to Kraków a couple of years back, got the night train from Prague and ended up in a very bad mood for the whole day.

Rest days can combat the tiredness though. If you have one a week at least, they'll be priceless.

Another plus of interrailing: by no means a hard and fast rule, but you're more likely to meet more interesting people that might for example live as an expat elsewhere in Europe.

Ah so it can be pretty shattering, those are all good things to consider, but essentially you'd recommend rest days? Good advice thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest