The Student Room Group

Studying for A-levels in the summer holidays?

I'll be starting my A-levels (English Literature with WJEC, History with Edexcel, Psychology with AQA and Biology with WJEC) in September this year at a six form college.

I was just wondering whether I should read around the subject areas and study a little before starting in September?
And if so does anyone know any good resources that I could use?
Reply 1
I'm not doing any of those courses but the school I'm going to set summer holiday h/w and, even if your college doesn't, I would recommend reading around at least the first topics of the course just to firm up your knowledge. That's what I plan on doing and just making sure I get the general jist of the harder topics so I don't get caught up and stressed when it comes to learning it in class. If you just go to your local library there should be some text books on those courses if not the exact exam which should help.

Hope I've helped and hope you get on well with sixth form (I'm super excited!)
From what I've heard/experienced I'd say read around Biology because everyone said it got difficult really fast and make sure you're solid on everything GCSE so you don't have to waste time going back over stuff. Look up the texts for English Literature and what you're doing in the course, maybe ask the teachers for extra reading? I didn't do any extra reading at AS but if I'd known which poems and books we were doing beforehand that could have helped because you're expected to read them more than once. If you're doing Sheenagh Pugh in the poetry, add her on facebook! I've heard she's pretty willing to discuss her poetry with students although I've never asked her anything. Also find out which drama you're doing and maybe watch it or read it? Research the context for everything you'll be studying because that will cut down on your workload :smile: I'm not sure about the other subjects.

You don't have to read around but it might give you an advantage and help you slip into A-levels better. I didn't do any extra work before starting and it was difficult to get back into it.
Reply 3
Definitely read around biology. I do ocr but I guess there won't be that much difference in difficulty. Wish id have read around it before i started, quite hard to get my head around, personally.
I also do psychology, again with ocr, its fairly straight forward, I'm just learning about different studies and types of experiments.

Go on the exam boards websites, you may find usefull information to read about the subject. Or buy the textbooks, make sure its the right exam board for the subject though, as they have slightly different content in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest