History or Geography- which is a better subject?

Watch
[email protected]
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
My friends and I were debating this... which do you think is better?
BWCW
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say Geography because you get the whole spectrum of skills - essay writing to data collection and presentation to statistics to IT and GIS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Better for what?
I find history more interesting but I would say Geography is more useful.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Geography was the most soul destroying subject I studied for GCSE being taught by a teacher who was always high didn't help much. I'd definitely say history unless your life will feel better if you know useless information like Antarctica being a desert

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
My friends and I were debating this... which do you think is better?
I don't think there is a 'better' one. They're different and both are incredibly important. Both of them are absolutely essential in terms of understanding the world and how to progress into the future.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
Better for what?
I find history more interesting but I would say Geography is more useful.
Better in terms of which subject has more to offer, or is most beneficial to study?
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Better in terms of which subject has more to offer, or is most beneficial to study?
Then Geography.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wade-)
Geography was the most soul destroying subject I studied for GCSE being taught by a teacher who was always high didn't help much. I'd definitely say history unless your life will feel better if you know useless information like Antarctica being a desert

Posted from TSR Mobile
! I guess that you're no longer a geography fan!
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you are figuring which one to choose, just wait for the unexpected for Geography. Being myself, I enjoyed geography in the first years of school then I chose it and gosh... it's a nightmare, I would have thought it was going to be countries and shiz, but no, right now, I'm studying environmental science and I hate it! Hopefully next year will be better.

Geography is the more useful, history is apparently really boring in the first year... My friends do both, and they are studying medicine in history, I think I'd kill myself!
C0balt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How interesting or boring the class will be very much depends on the teacher teaching...

I have the same teacher for both Geography and History, so I can compare relatively well but I do Cambridge IGCSE which is very different from what you have in Britain especially in Humanity subjects.

For CIE IGCSE, History is way way more demanding than Geography, and I find History challenging and interesting. Geography can be interesting, but CIE IGCSE Geography is hella easy...if you know the case study, you are fine. You write bullshet with common sense and you get an A....at least in my case. However, Geography will link into your everyday life more than History. If you just live normally, go shopping and go walking, you would never care if Stalin sent troops to Poland, while you might care to not use cars to stop global warming.

Then again, CIE Humanities are very different from what you have in Britain so don't count on me. I personally do better in Geography but I enjoy History more. History is more interesting but Geography is more useful.
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say history is more interesting and geography is easier but it's subjective
Its_Tito
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can really say which is better I guess. In my opinion, I detest Geography with a passion, and I've always loved History. It kind of depends on what you like doing and what your interests are. They both give you essay writing skills, research skills, give you the opportunity to think and work individually. Both subjects have their perks and downfalls, you kind of have to decide for yourself. It's like asking if French or Spanish is easier/better. They both have different factors to support their cause.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads