The Student Room Group

Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases

My Pearson Chemistry HL for IB textbook says that "a Bronsted-Lowry base must have a lone pair so it can accept a proton" (i.e. a dative bond as I interpret it)...

So does that mean that technically, NaOH won't be a Bronsted-Lowry base?
NaOH disassociates into Na+ and OH- the hydroxide ion accepts a proton, H+, to form H2O. Hence a bronsted base
Reply 2
Original post by Protoxylic
NaOH disassociates into Na+ and OH- the hydroxide ion accepts a proton, H+, to form H2O. Hence a bronsted base

Yes but then why the condition of the lone pair. In this case, the lone pairs of oxygen in the OH- ion, are useless.
Original post by Aaradhana
Yes but then why the condition of the lone pair. In this case, the lone pairs of oxygen in the OH- ion, are useless.

If I'm understanding your question correctly then I think you mean when OH- acquires a proton it becomes H2O with O still having 2 lone pairs, this is correct, but they are not useless. H2O can form hydronium ions H3O+ when another proton attacks the oxygen this is because H2O can act either as a base or acid - it is an amphoteric species.
Reply 4
It is OH- that is a base, not NaOH. And OH- can accept a proton.
Reply 5
Original post by Protoxylic
If I'm understanding your question correctly then I think you mean when OH- acquires a proton it becomes H2O with O still having 2 lone pairs, this is correct, but they are not useless. H2O can form hydronium ions H3O+ when another proton attacks the oxygen this is because H2O can act either as a base or acid - it is an amphoteric species.

Oh, yea, ok, thanks...

Quick Reply

Latest