The Student Room Group

Is it too late to drop an AS?

I want to drop an AS i realize the unis I want to go to ask for 3 a-levels and I think doing this 4th will bring down my third grade. At school we've been given our time table but that doesn't make it physically impossible to drop it right?
Reply 1
This brings up the debate of unwritten rules, like whether you should do 4 A Levels or even 5. In the past it's been generally found that you're expected to do 3.5 A Levels, but 4 or more is pointless unless for a specific college and course (I forget which, think it was something to do with engineering or medicine).

The problem is 3 is indeed fine, but too many people are achieving this. Rather than fix the entire testing process, instead the grade boundaries are messed about with and unis are stuck with finding other ways to separate candidates.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think it depends on your school / college. If you think you can manage all 4, I would but drop the 4th after AS. If you think it'll bring your grades down and you are allowed to drop one, think about it - its better to get better grades in fewer subjects I think.
Reply 3
look at uni websites entry requirements, i dont think they want an as level, its just a backup in case you dont like another subject. ie you pick your best 3 out of 4 usually
Original post by Xscape
I want to drop an AS i realize the unis I want to go to ask for 3 a-levels and I think doing this 4th will bring down my third grade. At school we've been given our time table but that doesn't make it physically impossible to drop it right?

You can drop it but you've probably already been entered for the exam so you'll get an X on your results. I'd recommend not dropping it but also not prioritising that subject. Put the most work into your 3 other subjects then do the minimum work required to pass the fourth.
Reply 5
Email your universities and ask if the drop of an A Level will affect your offers. Waiting for them to email back takes way too long. You're probably better off calling Admissions then asking them to email a confirmation telling you that you can drop a subject. Then tell your school that you want to drop it and email UCAS. Hope it works out.
Reply 6
Do I really need to call unis and ask if it will affect my offers? because the uni entry requirements say 280-340 amount of ucas points/ these A2 grades. This is animation at Bournemouth/Dundee by the way not History at Durham xD I realize I may get less ucas points if I drop the 4th but that's understandable and it's not set in stone i'll get less I can work at my others and bring it up greatly. My query is if I will not be considered at all due to not having a 4th AS. which i don't think is the case
It's too late to drop it now, especially when exams are approaching. Just revise and do your best in all the subjects, you can't judge the outcome without trying. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Its not too late. Lots of people I know have dropped subjects this week (I'm doing AS's atm) also the head of my sixth form has suggested i may be dropping one in tje next two weeks. Talk to your teachers/head teacher and ask them what they think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If you get a U you don't have to put it on your UCAS form

If you get an E you do.

Quick Reply

Latest