The Student Room Group

Computer science at Keele

So I am halfway through my AS levels and I am doing computing, use of maths, biology and psychology and will probably only go as far as AS for biology but I am still expecting to get AAB-ABB.

I really want to do a computer science course and have been looking around everywhere (Birmingham, nottingham, cardiff, keele etc) and the main problem is that the courses with higher entry standards generally require a maths A level and wont accept use of maths. But the ones that don't require maths have lower entry standards and I just feel It would be a waste to do a course I am over qualified for :\

So what cs courses in the uk would you recommend? And would you say Keele is the right choice?
Reply 1
Not too familiar with Keele, but off the top of my head, a few universities around AAB-ABB that don't require maths:
> Birmingham, as you presumably already know. Good university, nice city, great facilities, not great for placement year if you're interested in that.
> KCL. All the pros and cons that come with London, good facilities, not great for placement either, good international reputation.
> Kent. Not much going on in Canterbury but it's pretty, the department seemed nice, they're very good for placement year and have a pretty good reputation.
> Surrey. Pretty expensive to live, okay for placement and reputation, nice enough facilities.
> Royal Holloway. Egham is pretty desolate and the department is quite small but it's a nice university.

If in doubt, always phone the admissions department and ask! You may get special consideration as you take both computing and use of maths, so don't sell yourself short.
Reply 2
Ok thank you very much! Yeah I am definitely going to phone up some places too, so hopefully it will go well. Birmingham was my second choice and looked fab but wanted A*AA-AAB, I think I have a chance of getting in with AAB because I am a girl, sounds terrible but I am the minority I guess. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by laurencedge
Ok thank you very much! Yeah I am definitely going to phone up some places too, so hopefully it will go well. Birmingham was my second choice and looked fab but wanted A*AA-AAB, I think I have a chance of getting in with AAB because I am a girl, sounds terrible but I am the minority I guess. :smile:

"I think I have a chance of getting in with AAB because I am a girl"
What makes you think that this is how admissions work? :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Reply 4
Original post by seohyun
"I think I have a chance of getting in with AAB because I am a girl"
What makes you think that this is how admissions work? :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry shouldn't have said that, sounds stupid thinking about it. Ignore me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending