Such a thing as being naturally intelligent? Watch

Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think there is what do you guys think?
Dominic101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes thread/
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes.
hitchslap
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely. Some people are just inherently quicker than others.
Serendipitee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes. Richard Dawkins is naturally intelligent as any atheist will know.
bluebluepurple
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes.

If you work with a group of kids for any length of time, you'll see the difference.
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP is in the "not" category if he hasn't observed this yet.
rasberyl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, but environment does have an effect too.

The most intelligent ones usually have a good environment as well as natural ability.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are a hell of a lot of people out there who are naturally intelligent, however only a small percentage of them are taught to utilise this intelligence.

I don't like the idea of naturally intelligent people - I prefer the blank slate theory of the mind because I've personally seen more evidence to support that than I have for pure natural intelligence. I've been told by a lot of people that I'm naturally intelligent but I don't understand why/how. I mean, my mind works fast and I'm a really fast learner - my uncle used to try to persuade my siblings to get me "tested" to see if I was "one of *those* people who's good/talented at everything". (I never knew exactly what he meant by this and I dont know how to ask him or my siblings what he meant by it without coming across as a narcissistic mofo! ) However, I was never an incredibly smart person - my school grades were above average but I was never anything special. It was only in the last year that I really started becoming almost obsessive about bettering and developing my intelligence (outside of formal education, that is) but I don't think this has anything to do with my supposedly being naturally intelligent.

I dunno. To me intelligence has always been one of those things that needs to be appropriately trained and utilised in order to develop better. I just can't fathom how anyone can be naturally intelligent. It's like the kids that get As and A* for every subject - in front of others they (at least, the ones I've known) always suggested that they never worked really hard to get those grades and they'd say something along the lines of "oh, I didn't bother revising for that exam but still I got an A!" but when I spoke to them on a more personal level when people weren't around, they would explain to me that they did work hard every day for those grades. This proves to me that there's no such thing as natural intelligence. On the other hand, when I think about myself and a couple of my friends who were incredibly lazy in school, we managed to come out with a load of B grades, a few As and and a couple of A* so this does make me wonder if natural intelligence does exist because a lot of other people who put in a similar amount of effort as we did (if not more) were lucky to get C grades. As I write this I realise I keep associating intelligence with formal education and I don't mean to (I detest the concept of formal education being an indicator of intelligence) but it's the easiest example I can think of. Also, as I'm writing this I'm think of my 8 year old cousin who is incredibly intelligent and mature for her age but she's doing really badly in school because her mum's too damn lazy to get up in the morning to take her so she misses out on so much for no reason. Because her family are holding her back she's not reaching her full potential but she's that kid who, from one conversation with her, you can see just how intelligent she is, how much of a fast learner she is, and how quickly she's able to pick up language and such things. This does show me that natural intelligence might exist, but on the other hand, I also see that she's been raised by her older sister who is in her mid-early 20s so that explains how/why she's grown to be so intelligent. I speak from my own experience because I was raised by my siblings who are all 8-10 years older than me and I spent my entire childhood and teenage years with them and because I picked up so much from them, my being supposedly "naturally intelligent" was inevitable. I don't know. This is one hell of a question because I see it as another branch off the nature/nurture tree and because nature and nurture both balance so well in this context it's so difficult to get one final answer!
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You realise Mozart wrote his first symphony when he was about 8?

Yes, of course you can be born incredibly intelligent. It's about being able to use it, though. And anyone can be "smart" if motivated.
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some people are inherently more intelligent than other for sure (e.g. can absorb information more efficiently) but it can also be enhanced through putting the effort in.
LightBlueSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)
There are a hell of a lot of people out there who are naturally intelligent, however only a small percentage of them are taught to utilise this intelligence.

I don't like the idea of naturally intelligent people - I prefer the blank slate theory of the mind because I've personally seen more evidence to support that than I have for pure natural intelligence. I've been told by a lot of people that I'm naturally intelligent but I don't understand why/how. I mean, my mind works fast and I'm a really fast learner - my uncle used to try to persuade my siblings to get me "tested" to see if I was "one of *those* people who's good/talented at everything". (I never knew exactly what he meant by this and I dont know how to ask him or my siblings what he meant by it without coming across as a narcissistic mofo! ) However, I was never an incredibly smart person - my school grades were above average but I was never anything special. It was only in the last year that I really started becoming almost obsessive about bettering and developing my intelligence (outside of formal education, that is) but I don't think this has anything to do with my supposedly being naturally intelligent.

I dunno. To me intelligence has always been one of those things that needs to be appropriately trained and utilised in order to develop better. I just can't fathom how anyone can be naturally intelligent. It's like the kids that get As and A* for every subject - in front of others they (at least, the ones I've known) always suggested that they never worked really hard to get those grades and they'd say something along the lines of "oh, I didn't bother revising for that exam but still I got an A!" but when I spoke to them on a more personal level when people weren't around, they would explain to me that they did work hard every day for those grades. This proves to me that there's no such thing as natural intelligence. On the other hand, when I think about myself and a couple of my friends who were incredibly lazy in school, we managed to come out with a load of B grades, a few As and and a couple of A* so this does make me wonder if natural intelligence does exist because a lot of other people who put in a similar amount of effort as we did (if not more) were lucky to get C grades. As I write this I realise I keep associating intelligence with formal education and I don't mean to (I detest the concept of formal education being an indicator of intelligence) but it's the easiest example I can think of. Also, as I'm writing this I'm think of my 8 year old cousin who is incredibly intelligent and mature for her age but she's doing really badly in school because her mum's too damn lazy to get up in the morning to take her so she misses out on so much for no reason. Because her family are holding her back she's not reaching her full potential but she's that kid who, from one conversation with her, you can see just how intelligent she is, how much of a fast learner she is, and how quickly she's able to pick up language and such things. This does show me that natural intelligence might exist, but on the other hand, I also see that she's been raised by her older sister who is in her mid-early 20s so that explains how/why she's grown to be so intelligent. I speak from my own experience because I was raised by my siblings who are all 8-10 years older than me and I spent my entire childhood and teenage years with them and because I picked up so much from them, my being supposedly "naturally intelligent" was inevitable. I don't know. This is one hell of a question because I see it as another branch off the nature/nurture tree and because nature and nurture both balance so well in this context it's so difficult to get one final answer!
Bleh. I coasted through my time at school and my first two years at cambridge, although I worked pretty hard in 3rd and 4th year and I work hard at my job. My parents are both very clever so I suppose I had an upbringing naturally conducive to intelligence.

Effort is necessary to succeed but natural intelligence makes it easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EarthlingyThingy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Yes.
Dear Sir,

The following comment left a distinct and unpleasant taste in my mouth. The very notion that a gentleman who, in the past, has defended the honour and integrity of Madonna, could have a natural intelligence, is preposterous.

Signed,

Elton John
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have the brains of an Arch Bishop.
lucas13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
OP is in the "not" category if he hasn't observed this yet.
Oo Do i sense a fail troll?

(Original post by rasberyl)
Yes, but environment does have an effect too.

The most intelligent ones usually have a good environment as well as natural ability.
I agree with you it's like the age old arguement of Nature vs nurture.
flyyoufools
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes although it's definitely not the only factor in someone's intelligence. If someone is naturally intelligent and has a good upbringing where they're taught to respect education and work hard then they'll excel. If someone is naturally intelligent but doesn't grow up in a great environment to nurture it then they'll either never learn to use that talent or they'll pick it up anyway and it won't have too much of an effect. If someone is not naturally intelligent but grows up in a good environment for it then they can also learn it just with more difficulty.
The Champion.m4a
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by EarthlingyThingy)
Dear Sir,

The following comment left a distinct and unpleasant taste in my mouth. The very notion that a gentleman who, in the past, has defended the honour and integrity of Madonna, could have a natural intelligence, is preposterous.

Signed,

Elton John
The name wasn't even real brah.
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Obligatory 'Define Intelligence' post checking in.

But the short answer is yes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed