Asclepius1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Whilst I can see why it would be advantageous to chose a foundation rotation that includes a speciality which a person might be interested in pursuing in the future - is it a necessity?

Do interviewers for speciality training etc look at such things down the line? Do they place much weight on it?
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It isn't a requirement. You will just need to be a bit more creative and use your taster week etc to demonstrate commitment to specialty.
Which specialty are you interested in?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't do the thing i'm going to be doing for specialty training. Just got creative in other jobs/taster weeks. Was fine. If i'd had the chance I would have done it but I was happy with the rotations I had.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Asclepius1)
Whilst I can see why it would be advantageous to chose a foundation rotation that includes a speciality which a person might be interested in pursuing in the future - is it a necessity?

Do interviewers for speciality training etc look at such things down the line? Do they place much weight on it?
There are sometimes extra points at CT/ST1 for completing a foundation placement in a particular specialty, but not all specialties do this. In anaesthetics, it does get you a point or two, but so does having done a taster week - they realised there aren't many anaesthetics FY jobs and people a)may not have chosen their specialty at the point of FY application and b)may have other priorities for choosing jobs - so it's relatively fair. It is perfectly possible to get a job without it.

Other things that will help are audits/research in relevant areas and other evidence of "commitment" such as taking membership exams if it's possible in your chosen specialty. For surgery, starting a logbook would be a very good idea - in fact it's probably something everyone should do for procedures more complicated than a cannula/ABG.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads